Converting single to duoble socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wish to convert a single socket to a double. The socket has only one live wire connected to it and I want to use it to run my telephone and a table lamp- could you please answer the following queries?
1. Is it a spur socket?
2. Can I swap the socket for a double?
3. is it relevant what appliances I can run from it?
4. Does it contravene any regulations?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Does it have an Earth and Neutral wire connected?

It is likely to be a Spur - the safest way is to fit a 13a unswitched fuse connection unit, and make it a fused spur to a new double socket.

Yes, there is a neutral and earth connected to the current single socket

Yeah it sounds like a spur - any socket with just one cable into it is either a spur or the end of a radial circuit.

Switching the power off to the socket (on the Consumer Unit) I would get my drill and hammer and chisel out and fit a new (double) pattress box, patching plaster etc.

I have seen these things in Homebase and Screwfix.com where you just plug a double socket into the single and it looks like a flush double, but I have had no experience of them. They were about £30 I think whereas the hammer+chisel way would be about £5 tops but main cost would be time and effort. Careful of the wallpaper too.

A telephone and table lamp should be fine.

No, it does not contravene any regulations.

Sponsored Links
With regards to regs, an I right in that from next year this sort of work should really be inspected by a qualified electrician?

Read somewhere that all electrical work will need to be passed from 2005 onwards? :cry:

Dux

That doesn't apply to minor electrical work, like changing a socket, adding a socket, changing a light fitting etc.

Of course, all triple sockets are fitted with a fuse already. So you could use a single flush to triple surface box adaptor (I believe Screwfix sells them, but they are back to their website-blocking ways), with a triple socket in this. Which would actually be safer than sticking an unfused double socket in the wall instead.

The parts probably cost no more than £10 I would have thought.

No need for Fused Spur.

Also, this socket may in fact be a spur from a spur (in the old days, a spur could feed ONE double, or TWO single sockets). If it is, then changing it to a double would not be to the regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back