Converting single socket to double socket outlet

Hi 2 Bedrooms have one single socket only and another has one single socket on one wall and one single socket on another. However one bedroom that only has one single socket does have a fitted wardrobe on the main wall an I have suspicions that there is a socket outlet behind there (as there is a tv aerial coax within the pelmet of the wardrobe).
Thanks for clarifying. So it's only 1 or 2 rooms that have only one socket?
Thanks for the advise as suggested I have been looking at other socket outlets that have terminal connections closer together as this may provide a neater solution.
That would certainly be the best solution, if you can find a suitable socket. I have certainly seen some in which the terminals are no further apart than those in a single socket.
This had led me to another query (Not sure if this should be a new thread), I have found a double outlet that may work and it also has USB charging outlets. If for any reason I went down the unfused spur route can these type of outlet be used, i.e are they still classed a double socket outlet therby conforming to the one single or one double outlet as an unfused spur?
I would say that would be fine.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
This had led me to another query (Not sure if this should be a new thread), I have found a double outlet that may work and it also has USB charging outlets. If for any reason I went down the unfused spur route can these type of outlet be used, i.e are they still classed a double socket outlet therby conforming to the one single or one double outlet as an unfused spur?
Practically speaking I would say that the extra risk of overloading from having the USB ports is negligable and therefore putting one on a spur is fine.

Theorectically I guess someone could argue that they were not a "BS1363 double socket outlet" but IIRC the "rules" on spurs are only informative guidance anyway.

I would however make sure you buy from a reputable brand. The "USB charger" market is full of cheap chinese junk that does not meet the safety standards it claims to.

Sponsored Links
Practically speaking I would say that the extra risk of overloading from having the USB ports is negligable and therefore putting one on a spur is fine.
I thought the OP was asking whether it would be OK to use a socket with USB ports as the origin of a spur (i.e. that the USB charger didn't count as a 'spur', thereby precluding additional spurs from the socket), rather than installing it 'on a spur' - but (as I wrote before) I would still agree with you that, even if that is what he was asking, in practical terms, it would fine.
Theorectically I guess someone could argue that they were not a "BS1363 double socket outlet" but IIRC the "rules" on spurs are only informative guidance anyway.
Yes, some would argue that - but, FWIW, I wouldn't!

Kind Regards, John

If it is a ring final circuit, I would terminate the conductors as a ring, so extend each conductor individually.
Whilst, in some senses, that is the ideal, it does increase the number of screwed joints and therefore probably slightly increases the risk that a loose connection could at some point in the future result in a (partial or complete) breaking of the ring.

What the OP proposed is effectively using the connector block as a JB and constituting the socket as a spur (2 or 3 inches long) from that 'JB'. That would be compliant with regs and I must say that if I were going to solve his problem by extending conductors (which I probably wouldn't) I might well be tempted/inclined to take that approach.

Kind Regards, John

I think it is more likely that multiple conductors in one side of a connector strip, would be more likely to become loose or dislodged, then a single conductor.

I think it is more likely that multiple conductors in one side of a connector strip, would be more likely to become loose or dislodged, then a single conductor.
Possibly, but that has to be offset against the fact that single-conductor extensions would involve twice as many screwed joints. I reckon it's a pretty finely-balanced choice.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back