Converting to fully pumped?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having a new house extension built and i need my boiler moving which is a gravity water, and pumped central heating being fed by a Gloworm wall mounted boiler.

Now my question. How do i convert the boiler which is being moved into a fully pumped system?

I believe it's called a Y plan? (may be wrong here)

If someone could post or email me some conversion diagrams i would be eternally greatful. I have dabbled in plumbing before and feel confident of doing this once i have something to work to (although i will get a Corgi engineer to fit the gas pipe and test the system at the end) ;)

My email address is: [email protected]

Thank-you in advance.

Stu.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info so far.

Why i am needing a Y Plan is where i have had to re-position my boiler in my new extension, the gravity flow and return from the boiler i have moved have to bend downwards 12" back into my bathroom to reconnect onto the original pipes, and i am not convinced that this will gravity flow due to this.

What i am really needing before i dare attempt this conversion is a before and after diagram of a Y Plan. I have searched google in general and it isn't really giving me the full picture of what goes where.

Any further info is most appreciated.

Stu.

but that is not fully pumped.

If you cant what goes where give up and let a reputable plumber at it.

Location?

Soggy_weetabix said:
but that is not fully pumped.

If you cant what goes where give up and let a reputable plumber at it.

Location?

Thanks again for the info, but i really would like to do this as i have already moved the boiler but as i said due to design the gravity water pipes dip 12" back into the house to re-connect.

Ok, i have searched thouroughly could some kind person please tell me if i have this correct for my system to work as a Y plan.

All the below altered in airing cupboard:

1. Fit a 3 port valve onto the central heating flow pipe.
2. fit the gravity flow pipe into the 3 port valve also.
3. then from the other end of the 3 port valve connect this to the cylinder flow connection.
4. from this connection fit an air bleed pipe.
5. fit thermastat to cylinder & wire this back to 3 port valve.
6. fit room stat and wire to 3 port valve.
7. wire 3 port valve to heating programmer.

anyone?

Pipework should be as follows:

Flow from top of boiler to pump then to middle port of three way 3 way valve.

Existing flow to HW (which goes to top of coil in indirect cylinder) connected to one outlet from 3 port valve. Existing flow to CH connects to other outlet.

Return pipes from HW and CH circuits are teed together and taken to return inlet of boiler.

You should also fit an auto bypass valve in a pipe teed off between pump & 3 port valve and connected into the return pipe to the boiler.

Your vent and feed pipes from the F & E tank in loft should be teed close together into the pipework between the boiler and the pump.

As far as the wiring is concerned you need to use a wiring centre with the controller, stats, valve, pump and boiler connected as shown in the wiring diagrams for Y plan shown in the web sites given in earlier replies.

Pipework should be as follows:

Flow from top of boiler to pump then to middle port of three way 3 way valve.

Existing flow to HW (which goes to top of coil in indirect cylinder) connected to one outlet from 3 port valve. Existing flow to CH connects to other outlet.

Return pipes from HW and CH circuits are teed together and taken to return inlet of boiler.

You should also fit an auto bypass valve in a pipe teed off between pump & 3 port valve and connected into the return pipe to the boiler.

Your vent and feed pipes from the F & E tank in loft should be teed close together into the pipework between the boiler and the pump.

As far as the wiring is concerned you need to use a wiring centre with the controller, stats, valve, pump and boiler connected as shown in the wiring diagrams for Y plan shown in the web sites given in earlier replies.

Thanks Jo appreciate your help and does sound a little complicated.

Can i use just a single motorised valve on the gravity flow (forgetting the y plan method) and wire that back to the programmer, so when i switch on my hot water the motorised valve kicks in and circulates the water?

If this is not possible i think it's failure time for me and i will need to call in a plumber.

any help on my final question is appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Stu.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back