Converting to Sealed System from Open Vent---Advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After looking at many discussion on this forum regarding air problems in open vented systems I wanted to get some advice as I have had similar problems since having the boiler changed recently. I have a traditional open vented central heating and indirect cylinder arrangement with 3 port motorised valve in the airing cupboard.

I replaced an old Baxi floor standing boiler for a new Baxi 100HE Condensing. Although the system works well I have all the symptoms of air problems (gurgling in pipes and bathroom radiator constantly filling with air) for over 3 months now. No amount of bleeding will cure the problem. Checked all the obvious (header tank ball valve) and leaks.

After reviewing these forums I think the problem is down to poor original positioning of the Vent and Feed pipes when the house was built. The Feed and vent join the boiler flow in the airing cupboard on the inlet side of the pump but they join (from the side) on a vertical leg. I assume this is not optimal?

So I think I will convert to a sealed system with one of these manifold kits but just have a few questions:-

1. Would it be worth still fitting an air separator on a sealed system to trap micro-bubbles while I'm at it. I don't really understand if the nature of a sealed system will not necessitate this. If so can anyone recommend a separator suitable for a sealed system?

2. On the return side of the hot water cylinder coil there is a gate valve. Should this be closed partially to alter the excessive speed of water flow when the pump is on speed 3 with just the hot water calling for heat? I have to use speed 3 as I have a microbore system and the lounge radiators have long tails.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
Have you got an "Aerjec" or similar air separator? If not, why not just fit one of these? It's a lot less ongoing expense than a sealed system.

Have you got an "Aerjec" or similar air separator? If not, why not just fit one of these? It's a lot less ongoing expense than a sealed system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back