cooker/back door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have a querey regarding the position of my cooker and back door
picture here >> http://i45.tinypic.com/m97jus.jpg
my gas pipe in red comes down from the ceiling and on the other side of the room is my electric cooker switch also in red , good job i didnt move in with a combi cooker lol
anyways are there apart from it being totally stupid and a pain any rules or regs on having a cooker next to a back door , trying to get council to do something about it
theres also a normal plug socket switch behind my cooker too just at back of over any regs for that too
many thanks Mysti

Sponsored Links
As a field service engineer for a cooker company I am not aware of any regs that state a gas cooker cannot be installed next to a door. I have heard council tenants state the council have said it shouldn't be done. Unless somebody else on this forum states otherwise, i don't see a problem with it.

Here's a basic breakdown of how a cooker should be installed.

Bayonet Fitting

• 1) Must be secured to the fabric of the building, e.g. a wall
    2) Must be at a sufficient height so that the flexible hose isn't dragging along the floor when the appliance is pulled out and shoved back. (This is to stop it from getting trapped) Approximately 2 foot above the ground would be correct. (The cooker installation manual will state exactly where it should be)
    3) The bayonet must be sited in such a position that when the flexible hose is connected, it doesn't pass through any cupboards or walls. Basically it should be sited behind the cooker.
    4) The bayonet must NOT have its opening pointing upwards. (This is to stop debris falling into it when it isn't connected to a flexible hose)

Clearance Zones

There is an area around the cooker that cannot have any flammable materials in it.
Generally this is 700mm above the hob burner although the manufacturers instructions may state differently and if so they should be adhered too
There will be a diagram in your instruction book that will clearly define these areas.

Back wall (Area above the hob)

This should ideally be tiled or have a non flammable splashback
It should not have any of the materials items listed below

• 1) Curtains
    2) Wallpaper or wood on the back wall
    3) Plug sockets

Glass Lids
The glass lid is not a heat shield and does not effect the clearance zones of the hob, eg when installing it should not be taken into consideration )E.G Treat as if it didnt have one)

Kitchen Worktop
The hob burner should be level or above the kitchen worktop if it is made of a flammable material

Stability
  • 1) The appliance should be secured with either a stability bracket or a chain
    2) The appliance should be stable and on the floor not raised on pieces of wood or bricks which is a favourite bodge of kitchen fitters or on those rollers that make it easier to pull out.

If your installation doesn't contravene any of the above guidelines you should be fine.

The appliance must be installed by a gas safe registered installer, failing to do this may render your house insurance void if there are any issues that arise from the cooker installation.

Finally :) if your ethnicity is from the Far east, dont place tinfoil on the hob so you don't have to clean it, this is very dangerous

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back