Cooker cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to wire in my son's new NEFF oven. The instructions say use cable type H05VV-F but this cable appears to come in various sizes/current ratings.
The current oven is wired into a junction box with a cable of a similar size to the cable on your average TV, except it has a black rubber sheath. The junction box is switched via what looks like standard on/off switch set in a square panel, which is mounted into the wall (similar to an everyday light on/off switch)

Any views on what this H05VV-F cable is and what size should I be using.
Is there an equivalent from your average DIY outlet?
On the side of the oven it mentions 4.3KW which in my book is around 18 Amps so is the switch in current use OK?

Sponsored Links
singalong said:
I need to wire in my son's new NEFF oven. The instructions say use cable type H05VV-F but this cable appears to come in various sizes/current ratings.
The current oven is wired into a junction box with a cable of a similar size to the cable on your average TV, except it has a black rubber sheath. The junction box is switched via what looks like standard on/off switch set in a square panel, which is mounted into the wall (similar to an everyday light on/off switch)

Any views on what this H05VV-F cable is and what size should I be using.
Is there an equivalent from your average DIY outlet?
On the side of the oven it mentions 4.3KW which in my book is around 18 Amps so is the switch in current use OK?

define 'standard switch'. whjats the exising MCB/fuse protecting the cable? what size is the existing cable?

As to a "standard switch" it looks like a 13A mains on/off.
Can't say about the fuse as it's at son's house but it would be no more than 13A (cartridge fuse holder)
Wire diameter is as the size of a mains TV cable wire

Does this help Andrew?

singalong said:
As to a "standard switch" it looks like a 13A mains on/off.
Can't say about the fuse as it's at son's house but it would be no more than 13A (cartridge fuse holder)
Wire diameter is as the size of a mains TV cable wire

Does this help Andrew?
kinda.

you say 18 amps for the cooker. 13A for the fuse. you do the math.

if it was spurred from the ring, the fuse would be 30A. if a radial it could be anything.

TV dia cable: sould like either 1.5 or 2.5.. cable. this will more than likely be too thin for the load

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back