Ceramic Hob cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a freestanding cooker that currently has 6mm cable conencted. I am changing to separate hob and oven. Going to plug oven into normal ringmain as it is 13A. And put the hob on the cooker circuit, my question is that the hobs manual states that I need H05VV-F cable but can someone confirm that it is ok to use the existing 6mm cable?

Here is a picture of the existing cable:

DSC00157.jpg

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Still working on your cookers - wish I was there on an hourly rate :)

H05VV-F is a flex, not a cable, that is designed to twist and turn as you push and pull the cooker in and out of its slot - this means you are less likely to loosen a connection when you move it around. I, personally, am not a fan of T+E between the CCU and the appliance - it was not designed to do that job. You can get suitable flex in short lengths in most DIY stores, I would suggest that is the best course of action.

thanks didthathurt

Oh yes, I know I have been bugging you guys for a while now. But am one of these people that like to get things planned before I under take the job (this saturday!!!!!)

I know you are suggesting you are not a fan but is there any harm/fire risk etc caused by leaving in the current cable? Is this flex cable specially insulated and the esisting 6mm not??

this is the hob http://www.serviceforce.co.uk/pdfs/U22265.pdf

Thanks again....

No, there is no reason, other than I gave earlier, for not using the existing 6mm cable and not the specified flex.

Will we hear from you on Sunday?? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Ta, From the picture would you say it is 6mm? just being sure (you know me!)

I am hoping to still be around on Sunday!, but if you dont hear from me for a while expect the worst!!. Only joking I sure with the weeks of perparation and hassling you guys for your expert advice there will be no problems and all will go smoothly.

Cheers.

Hello Guys me again,

Work went resembly well at the weekend. However I have one query that I hope you can help with regarding wiring in the hob.

Please see picture below:

HobWD.jpg

I currently have a 6mm cable coming from the cooker outlet box, I have wired this in but the box has 2 live connectors one for each side of the box(1 live for every two hobs) Can someone tell me the best way to wire this, it seems like 1 and 2 need to be linked but it is almost impossible to do this with 6mm cable. Would it be ok to run another live from the outlet box to the other live. At the moment I have the live in 1 but only have 2 hobs working.

Hope this make sense please let me know if anymore details are needed.

Thanks.

Here are the rest of the instructions:

http://www.serviceforce.co.uk/pdfs/U22265.pdf

you are going to kick yourself...

you have posted a picture of the diagram on the connection box, which shows a copper link clipped out of the way at the top, guess what you should do with it :LOL:

Sorry adam bit early for me on a monday morning.

Please explain thanks.

Pete.

On your diagram, can you see where it says "LINK" with an arrow? have a look where it is pointing, you should find a smaller copper link clipped out of the way, unclip it, and fit it across the two phase terminals, and then connect your incomming phase cable to one of them on top of the link

Adam,

Cheers,

I can see the link arrow.

Sorry to be a pain but can you explain slightly simpler.

The cable i have, abviously neutral goes to 4 and earth to PE.

Where does the live cable go, do I remove the clip fit it across 1 and 2 then connect the live to 2?

I am sure this is very simple

thanks.

Pete.

Is it dangerous the way it is wired at the moment.

Thanks,

Yes I think I am with you now.

All I need to do is take the copper clip connect this to L1 and L2 then connect my live cable to one of these (i take it does not matter which one ?)

Cheers.

Can someone comment on wether the below is correct.?

Thanks.

All I need to do is take the copper clip connect this to L1 and L2 then connect my live cable to one of these (i take it does not matter which one ?)

Yes, put the link between L1&L2 and connect the live wire to one of the terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back