cooker electric supply rating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise.... My electrician has installed a 21 amp supply for a cooker. I am planning to buy a dual fuel 60cm width cooker (gas hob, electric double oven), and have been browsing the shops. How can I tell if a particular cooker will be suitable? For example is there a website which gives supply ratings for all brands and models? I would ask my electrician but he's away for the month!
Yours hopefully,
Rob Paterson

Sponsored Links
Think you're pushing it a bit with a 21 amp circuit. 21 amp circuit would be around a 5kw maximum load. Fan oven is likely to be around 2.6kw, convection around 2.2kw (or more) and the grill around 2.2kw (if it's electric). If all three are used at the same time the circuit is overloaded. If there's a 13amp socket on the cooker supply box then if this is used as well you're way over the capabilities of the circuit.
Older systems were 30amp for the cooker circuit and newer systems are 45amp.
In my opinion your circuit is only good for a single oven and grill and shouldn't have a 13amp outlet either.
You should be able to find out the maximum load of the cookers you are looking at, if they exceed 5kw then you're circuit isn't good enough for them.

Remember to pull the plug before working on any appliance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back