Gas safety with electric oven

30 Dec 2003
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I am replacing my free standing gas cooker with a built in gas hob and single electric oven. I want to make sure the heat from the electric oven does not pose a risk with the gas supply for the hob.

The existing gas supply is via a copper pipe secured to the wall and running about 60cm vertically from the floor to a socket which accepts a 2cm diameter bayonet type hose. The kitchen unit for the new oven and hob will be installed right in front of this pipe.

As long as the gas pipe, connector and rubber hose does not touch the oven, do I need to do anything special?

Seasons Regards,
Sponsored Links
Gas hobs all have to be installed with fixed copper pipe, unless it says otherwise in the instructions - never seen one yet which does. You also will need a gas valve/tap, and a corgi guy to do it. If you do it you won't be able to test it for leaks, etc.
15mm can be a pain - I usually use 10mm soft copper.
Thanks ChrisR.

So the rubber hose with bayonet connector is allowed for a freestanding gas cooker, but not a built in gas hob?

Why is this?


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links