No gas coming out of hob burners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some help - hopefully someone has some good advice for this problem.

I’ve just bought a ‘working’ 2nd hand cooker..... it is a good quality smeg dual fuel model. I attached the electrics and oven worked fine. I attached the gas and nothing came out of the hob.

It has a bayonet fitting on original hose. I tried several attempts at reseating the hose and still no gas through the hob.

I tested the supply and there is gas available - I pushed the valve and gas came out from the wall fitting.

I decided to change the gas hose. I purchased a new hose and attached it (badly) when I connect the bayonet gas was slowly leaking from the oven connector screw end.

I disconnected everything - cleaned the threads applied a sealant tape to both ends of the oven connector and then reconnected the new pipe.

I attached the bayonet end to the supply and waited. Checked for leaks. I made sure the electric was turned off to avoid stray ignitions. I tried the hob supply and no gas.

Given that this was the same fault before I switched the hoses And that I have checked that all 4 burners aren’t clogged. What other fault could stop the supply going to any of the burners and is this a straight forward fix?

Sponsored Links
Is ît possible that it need the electrical supply to be connected and "a button" to be reset?

My oven shuts off if the power is killed. I assume that there is a solenoid on the gas valve - to get the gas going after working on the fuseboard or after a power cut I have to reset a button.

Sponsored Links
Do you hear gas if you press the control knobs in/down?
Does the hob have an electrical supply, maybe for ignition of the burners?

The jets aren’t clogged - I checked this.
I tried the gas supply with electric and without. I disconnected electric only for a short while just after reconnecting to ensure no stray spark blew me up. I have since reconnected electric.
There appears no evidence that I can see that there is any other electric connection to the gas other than the ignition. I have looked/played and previously owned a similar model.

The gas safety call out was actually my first go to earlier today.....unfortunately the first guy wasn’t available till end of next week and the second company wanted to charge me £180+vat to connect the hose.... without the existance of yellow pages anymore it is pretty hard to find a real local tradesman without knowing one or going through third party rip off sites.

I was willing to pay a few quid - I felt the job should cost 20-60 depending on how long it took. Now however the whole thing is a joke.

I have only a small amount of money (on benefits) and forked our all I could afford getting the cooker. So would rather have avoided another steep bill. Unless there is a solve I may need to wait 2 months to be able to afford to get the cooker connected?? Which feels pretty shocking.

doers it have (or did it once have) a hinged lid that closes over the hob?

I have one that does, and when the lid is closed it shuts a gas valve that supplies the hob.

The burners on mine are not supplied with gas until either you hold the knobs in to ignite, or the burners are hot and their flame sensor detects that they are alight. I expect this is an electric gas valve.

Just to try to be more clear.

On all four hob burners if you press down and turn the dial/knob NO gas is coming out.

I was concerned that there may be extra issues with attachments or more complex possible issues. However it would also be helpful to know that that is unlikely

Do you hear the hiss of gas, when you push the buttons in/down?

If you do, that suggests the hob is the type which uses a thermocouple to hold the gas on, once the gas has been ignited. The process is push and turn, which should ignite the gas, then hold for a few seconds it should then hold itself on.

No lid - so no safety catch there to worry about.

I have tried to flush and use the hob without the electric and with (ignition firing)

I don’t know how more clear I can be other than say NO gas is coming out....

There is no hiss of gas

No gas is coming out

Thanks that makes sense - I have tried with electric but will give that another go. I don’t hear any hiss or smell anything but I will investigate to see if the issue lies here with the electric aspects not allowing the gas to flow.

Can I notice anything working/not working?

Should I be ‘seeing’ something where the absence of this highlights that error/issue?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back