Installation of new gas cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are about to order a new gas cooker.
I intended to disconnect the old one via the bayonet fitting, and reconnect the new cooker at the same fitting (the cooker would be supplied with a new flexible hose).
I have been told that this re-connection of the new cooker can nowadays only be done by someone who is Gas Safe registered.
Is this true?
Ray

Sponsored Links
As the hose will probably not come connected to the cooker then yes you will need a gas safe engineer to connect it.

Hi jj4091
I should have made it clearer - the supplier will already have connected the flexible hose to the cooker.

If you are sure about that being done properly & it is just a question of plugging in the bayonet then I am not aware of anything to stop you doing just that. Personally I would keep a close eye on it & check for leaks.

Sponsored Links
It needs to be installed and commissioned by a safe gas registered installer.

Otherwise how will you know whether its ok and safe to use.

I still remember a brand new hob I unpacked and fitted and had such a big gas leak you could hear it gushing out !!!!

Thanks for your comments.

Have decided to play safe and have it professionally installed. Gives us peace of mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back