cooker electrical wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A new cooker has just been delivered to me,my son took the order in and I returned home to find they had just left a cooker wire (disconnected from the cooker.I had a go myself the other day but it is still not switching on.The wall connection is self explanatory ,but the problem is the wire going into the cooker,firstly there are three screws,with two copper plates connecting them,for LIVE then two more screws with one copper plate for connecting those screws NEUTRAL and then to the right is just one screw for the earth wire,I thought due to the copper plates connecting the screws together,I would just need to put the LIVE into one screw,and vice versa with the NEUTRAL,the EARTH wire is self explanatory.
Do I need to spread the live wire say,to put into the three screws and the same with neutral???

Sponsored Links
Is there nothing in the manual?
What make / model is it?
May be worth ringing an electrician. Can't see it being any more than a visit / 1 hr labour rate to stick it in.

Some cookers refuse to do anything until their timer/clock has been set.

I think it's a 'feature' that's supposed to stop them turning themselves on unexpectedly after a power cut.

Does nothing on the cooker light up at all?

It's quite common to need to set the clock before anything will work. It's nothing to do with connecting the conductors to all 3 screws - you're quite correct to think that because of the metal plates linking them that you can just use 1. And you should only use 1...

[edit]Too slow![/edit]

Sponsored Links
from the sound of it, I would bet money that they have turned the cooker circuit off at the fuse board.. ( I would if leaving a cable dangling.. )

I wouldn't leave a cable dangling, but I was thinking that the kitchen appliance fitters might..

after re-reading the OP though, it now sounds to me like they just left him the cable to connect up with, not left it dangling ( since he says "The wall connection is self explanatory" )

either way I'd check the fuse / breaker isn't off...

No, and neither.

Although I will be knocking off soon.

Back to the plot - if the breaker is off and the OP doesn't know it that means the OP connected up the cooker without checking if it was off... :eek:

going on the asumption that he's not really electrical savvy.. I recon that
he thought it was OK as long as the cooker switch was off...

the slightly more savvy appliance guy thought to turn the breaker off just in case...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back