Cooker Element Terminal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I seem to have had a run on replacing various elements in the cookers of family members. All different makes. One thing they all had in common was not surprisingly heated terminal connections some with crumbling heat resistant terminal covers and a sloppy fit on pushing back into position..

The cooker I am working on now for my Daughter, let her down on Xmas day, has almost corroded away terminals that cannot be reused.
I have thought of using the car type crimp connectors as a replacement but I am uncertain of their composition and if they will stand up to the mains current flowing and the heat generated. Has any one any suggestions for suitable replacement connectors? The manufacturers only want to sell a complete harness.

Sponsored Links
a car crimper is not good enough.

You need a ratchet crimper and the correct size of crimps (they are colour coded). The internal cooker wiring might be 4mm or 2.5mm or something else. It will not quite fit in the next smaller size down from the correct size.

Proper crimping pliers will cost in the region of £25. Do not buy any that are unbranded or have the name "Silverline" on them.

Practice crimping on scrap wires until you have the technique right. There are some Utube videos somewhere showing how to do it. If you do it wrong you will have to cut the end off and try again.

If you have a Maplin shop in your area they will probably have the original type of spade connectors with separate insulating sleeves. I find you can crimp those OK with ordinary pliers but I agree you need the proper ratchet tool for the type of coloured spades sold in the car places.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back