cooker extractor vertical or horizontal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!
We have the choice to vent the cooker in our new one storey kitchen extension either vertically through the roof or horizontally through the wall (the room will have a vaulted ceiling).
I am at the point in the build where I could do something preparatory depending which way we go (eg installing tile vent, or vent grill in brick wall under eaves). Is there a preferred/better/more efficient way for a cooker extractor?
Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Sponsored Links
It depends what type of extractor you go for. The shortest route to the outside is the most efficient route in performance terms. If you choose a chimney hood type then going through the wall directly above the hood will be the easiest method. I would have thought at this stage it would be a little early to know exactly where your appliances will fit.

Many thanks for the speedy response - especially at this time in the morning!

roofs tend to leak when you make holes in them or otherwise interfere

Hire a core drill for the wall.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back