Cooker hood ducting in terraced house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We're moving into a terraced house soon and one of the things we're considering is whether there will be a problem when cooking. The cooker is not against an external wall so the only option for extracting steam (and smoke!) would be to use some form of ducting along the internal walls and then out to the external wall.

I guess that the distance from cooker to external wall would be about 3 metres.

Is my idea feasible? And, what kind of ducting would one use? Presumably this will depend on the hood used - what sort should I be looking for?

Many thanks

Rich

Sponsored Links
3 meters is a fair distance to ask that little fan to blow all that smoke/steam.

Why dont you try a recirculating one with carbon filters.

The only drawback is remembering to change the filter periodically.

IMO a rectangular duct looks neater. But you can run the duct on top of your wall units so it probably won't show anyway.

Recycling hoods are useless.

If you fit a powerful wall-mounted extractor high up on the wall nearest the cooker it will take steam and smells out of the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
So, with it being a fair distance I should probably opt for the most powerful fan that I can afford - yeah?

I've seen the rectangular ducting in ScrewFix and I think it would be neatest.

Thanks for your tips chaps/chapesses.

I'm trying to plan a similarly complicated route for ducting my cooker hood to the outside wall of my terrace.

I don't understand why a long run of ducting should make any difference.

Surely the only thing to affect the work the fan has to do would be the size (cross section) of the ducting (?).

Does anyones experience really sugest otherwise?

[1] there is friction between the air and the internal surface of the duct

[2] there is a pressure difference along the duct

so a the the length of the duct does have an effect in the same way as a short hose pipe or a long hose pipe affect the amount of water that flows.

Corrogated ducting also causes turbulent air flow which can reduce to half the amount of air moving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back