Cooker hood exhaust pipe - Aluminium or PVC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's better these days... aluminum or PVC duct as cooker hood ventilation pipe? I've noticed that aluminum one rattles a lot and makes more noise maybe because of its flexible design. Someone suggested PVC pipe as it's smooth and easier to clean but I have not seen it installed anywhere.

Cooker hood design is "Perimeter Aspiration" type with 1100 m3 suction power and needs at least 100 mm (4 inches) wide exhaust pipe.

Any suggestions for a PVC exhaust pipe? I think they can bear a good amount of heat.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
mostly use UPVC for domestic kitchens. A restaurant or hotel will more often have galvanised steel ducting which will stand up to heat and even fire but can rattle noisily. UPVC will stand up to approx 100C and the air flow is not normally that hot

For a short, through-the-wall length I usually use a bit of soil pipe cut to length and mortared in at both sides. I have small enough hands to be able to reach through and pack mortar into the external surface with my fingers. using a core drill cuts a very neat hole that is a good fit.

If it has to run around the kitchen to get to an external wall, there are rectangular UPVC ducts that come in white but can be painted to blend in, they are usually positioned on top of wall cabinets so they don't show. The purpose made ducts are always thinner and more likely to vibrate than soil pipe.

If it has to run around the kitchen to get to an external wall, there are rectangular UPVC ducts that come in white but can be painted to blend in, they are usually positioned on top of wall cabinets so they don't show. The purpose made ducts are always thinner and more likely to vibrate than soil pipe.

Nice! I didn't know about UPVC pipes with rectangular cross-section. I'll definitely look around for it, as I need to run it for 3 meters on top of the cabinets.

Here we get round aluminum ones which are so flexible that a 1 meter piece can be extended to cover 3 meters. And needless to say, they rattle like empty cold drink cans. :)

BTW, I have lots of spare soil pipes and I would've used the same if I had the option to conceal it in the wall. It's a party/parti wall, so can't dig deep enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back