Cooker Hood Power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im hoping somebody can help me with my question.

A bulb blew in my cooker hood so i replaced this and now the cooker hood is not working at all ( not even the fan ). I have located the power switch behind the hood its self. This is a sqaure socket with a switch and light to indicate that its switched on or off.
The light is currently lite up and i have changed the fuse but still no power to my cooker hood. I have used an electric tester and there is power going to the socket but not power in the cable running from the socket to the cooker hood.
Could it be the socket is faulty ? surely if the cooker hood was broken there would be power in the cable to the hood ?

Hope somebody out there can help.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you check the fuse you removed and the one you replaced it with?
It maybe that the one you put in was also faulty or neither have blown.
If you have a multi-meter you can check the fuses, and you can also check if there is any damage or loose connection between plug and hood be doing some continuity testing between the plug pins and the terminals within the hood. Some hoods may have a second fuse inside, it could be that that has blown.

If the neon is lit on the fused connection unit then the fuse is good and power is getting to the outgoing terminals. This means that the failing lamp has probably damaged something internal to the cooker hood.

Hi thanks for the replies. There is no power in the cable coming from the switch to the hood does this still mean it's a fault with the hood ? There is a capacitor on the hood its self could this be the problem ?

Sponsored Links
Is there any power at the socket outlet?
It could be that this socket is operated by an isolater or a fused connection unit at a nearby location, possibly above kitchen worktop. Check they are switched on and fuse within them as check that the circuit power is on at the board. If the ex-fan has a plug then also check fuse within that.

You could try running an extension power lead to fan from a known working socket or/and try another known working appliance in the socket behind the fan to see if this flags up whether it is an issue with power supply or it is the fan that requires looking at.
Some ex-fans have a second fuse contained within them, If socket and fuses are okay then a little testing at the fan is likely to be required.
If no power at socket then again some inspection and testing required, could be a loose/damaged conductor either at socket or further upstream of that socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back