cooker hood instalation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi' can somebody tell me if this is o.k.
i wish to fit a new cooker hood .. well the missus wants one really i'd sooner go fishing ut anyway here goes..
can i put a junction box in the socket ring main then run a wire down to a d.pole switch and then run the hood wire to the switch .
the cooker hood has just 2 wires
will this be o.k. running off the socket ring.
hope this is understandable. cheers.

Sponsored Links
Pretty sure that's not OK. I've just had a cooker hood fitted, and it's wired into the lighting ring, via a FCU.

I'm not an electrician, hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will be along soon.

Its not OK. You must fuse the feed to the hood at whatever the maker states (usually 3amps). The fuse could be in a plug, or in a fused connection unit, etc.

In any event, this is notifiable work (unless you plan to plug it into an existing socket :LOL: ). You could DIY it if you are competent to do the work, certify it and are prepared to pay the council's ridiculous fee.

With respect, from your question, you dont have the knowledge to do this so get a qual spark in - you'll find a local one at www.competentperson.co.uk

Sponsored Links
thanks for input ...so does it go to the lighting circuit or the socket circuit ?

For good practice FCU's should be connected to the "socket circuit"

If it was connected to the lighting circuit, there is a possibility that if some lights were on and then a fault occurs in the cooker hood, the lighting circuit 6A MCB in the consumer unit could trip before the 3A fuse in the FCU. OK so electrically it's safe, but being plunged into darkness whilst cooking could be dangerous.

In my experience many lighting circuits I've seen are already approaching their max capacity anyway.

Bathroom fans are often connected to the lighting circuit as there is probably no adjacent part of the socket ring to connect to. Also they are sometimes operated in conjunction with the light switch. Can't say I've ever come across a cooker hood connected to the lighting circuit though.

cheers sounds to be what i proposed in the first place but with a switch with a fuse ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back