Installing cooker hood and new cooker.

Thanks for the reply JohnD.

I managed to get a kitchen on the cheap and I am only doing that up, then the house goes on the market. We moved into this house quite a while ago and never even had to look at the electrics - following your thorough analysis it does appear that a total re-wiring job is needed - but I guess thats for the new owners to think about.

The only one thing I wanted to do is use the 6mm cabling (previously used for an electric shower) from the smaller fuse box to power the new gas (electric oven) cooker which requires a minimum 32 amps - again can you please confirm that would be ok.

The smaller fuse box is a 45amp one.

Cheers,

Nagsy

Sponsored Links
House might sell better / get better price if you can show the viewers a brand new consumer unit and neat and tidy understairs cupboard. Just a thought. People who buy a house dont need / want the headache of rewiring / changing consumer units these days. Potential buyers might put in lower offers than your asking price. I certainly would if i saw that rats nest of cables. Might cost £300-500 tops to tidy it up, might add a thousand or 2 to the price of the house. Worth a thought in my opinion.

Yes u have a point....I'll have to check the piggy bank and see if I can get it sorted.

Regarding my question, I still do not have a definitive answer - will the 6mm cabling (previously used for an electric shower) from the smaller fuse box (45amp) be enough to power a new range gas cooker (with built-in electric ovens) which requires a minimum 32 amps. Or will I have to get someone in to change it to a 10mm? Please can someone advise.

Thanks in advance.

Nagsy

crafty1289 said:
House might sell better / get better price if you can show the viewers a brand new consumer unit and neat and tidy understairs cupboard. Just a thought. People who buy a house dont need / want the headache of rewiring / changing consumer units these days. Potential buyers might put in lower offers than your asking price. I certainly would if i saw that rats nest of cables. Might cost £300-500 tops to tidy it up, might add a thousand or 2 to the price of the house. Worth a thought in my opinion.

Can someone please answer my question.....

Ta.

nagsy said:
Yes u have a point....I'll have to check the piggy bank and see if I can get it sorted.

Regarding my question, I still do not have a definitive answer - will the 6mm cabling (previously used for an electric shower) from the smaller fuse box (45amp) be enough to power a new range gas cooker (with built-in electric ovens) which requires a minimum 32 amps. Or will I have to get someone in to change it to a 10mm? Please can someone advise.

Thanks in advance.

Nagsy

crafty1289 said:

Sponsored Links
Hi Nagsy.
The advice you have recieved from Johnd strikes me as being sensible advice. Electricity is not something to cut corners with for safety's sake! I recently bought my housing association house and very nearly lost it due to cost cutting! The consumer unit that had been installed was too small for the current being used and was grossly overloaded and was found to be smoldering when the cooker was being used with a ring at the same time.

I am keeping out of further discussions on re-using the old bits, because I am not happy with their age and condition.

6mm will be sufficent, however johnd is correct the old cable shouldnt be used you should have a new cable installed. Fire protection is not required near your gas meter however a 20mm gap ir required between electrics and gas pipes but the further you can move that board the safer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back