Cooker hood questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a cooker hood from wickes.

A few questions that i have.

The hood needs to be wired to a 3 amp fuse,the flex is is 2 core live and neutral .On my wall above the worktops there is a double socket near my cooker control unit.Can i put a 3 amp fuse in a normal plug and wire the 2 core to the live and neutral of the plug (hood is double insulated as theres no earth on the flex) and just plug the hood into the double socket ?

Also the flex is a little short ,is it ok to replace the flex for a longer one,i am assuming this should be fine.

Also cause i am using an existing outlet ,is this still notifiable ??

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You can put a plug on the lead and plug it in (would look naff IMO).
You can extend the lead although you may invalidate the warranty if you chop up inside the hood.

Just plugging it in is not notifiable otherwise you'd have to notify each time you plugged in a kettle!

Notification is only necessary in a kitchen if you are changing the FIXED wiring.

You can put a plug on the lead and plug it in (would look naff IMO).
You can extend the lead although you may invalidate the warranty if you chop up inside the hood.

Just plugging it in is not notifiable otherwise you'd have to notify each time you plugged in a kettle!

Notification is only necessary in a kitchen if you are changing the FIXED wiring.
lol at the plug in bit as i edited my post as i was gonna have an fcu fitted but decided not to as i searched and found that it would be notifiable if i had one fitted.

My hood is right between two wall units so the cable would actually go behind one of the units and come out right underneath the the unit where the double socket is so no wiring to be seen from above.

Thanks for the quick reply.will just stick new flex and 3amp plug on it and plug it in then.

Whats the best size flex to go with when i change it 0.75mm at 6amps ok? cheers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back