routing FCU circuit in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing kitchen and aim to use exisiting circuits if possible. I have shown a diagram of the circuit to the cooker hood via an FCU

- Wire to 2 gang socket is 2.5mm twin plus earth
-wire from 2gang to FCU is 2.5mm twin plus earth
- FCU is switched and currently has 13A fuse in it (3A would be sufficient for hood).
- Wire from FCU to flex outlet and flex outlet to cooker hood is 1.5mm twin plus earth (earth not used in hood as double insulated)
-all wires are buried in the wall except for the wire from the flex outlet which runs 10-15cm down surface of wall into the hood

1) Is it ok that the FCU is spurred off the double socket?
2) Are the wiring sizes ok?
3) where the wire from the FCU goes from vertical to horizontal toward the flex outlet, there is no junction box etc here to show the change on direction. Only the flex outlet plate itself indicates the change in direction. Is that legal?
4) Is it legal to have the wire leaving the flex outlet running down outside of wall for 10-15cm to the cooker hood?
5) I take it the flex outlet has to be within 15cm of ceiling?
6) is attaching a new hood to the flex outlet wire still notifiable !?

many thanks

kitchenfcu_diagram1.jpg

Sponsored Links
1. Yes
2. Probably
3. NO!
4. Legal? If it is in the surface yes, but will look cr@p probably
5. ?????

pics?

3 - it's still in a safe zone so ok, no?? (safe zone created by flex outlet plate . . .)

5 - if you are connecting a new hood to an existing flex outlet then it's not notifiable afaik

Ah the pic helps a lot more.

RE 3. Your right technically in 'safe zones' I just think it is a little naff

RE 5. Your correct, if all the circuit is in place then you are simply changing an appliance!!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your answers so far. regarding (3) the routing of the cable, this is in many ways the most important question. Oharaf, you say the current diagram is naff but what is your solution? I cant put the FCU above the cooker and below the hood !! The only other alternative would be to go horizontal to above the cooker and then vertical to a flex outlet. HOWEVER, the wires are currently as they are in the diagram so I dont want to have to change them if possible.

Sorry Oj what i meant is that the trailing flex will look a bit naff, but fully understand you not wanting to jigger the plaster, if you're happy that is all that counts (oh and it being 'safe') :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back