FCU or DP switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My old oven and oven hood have been replaced by new models from Ikea.

The old oven was a single oven and was wired via 13A FCU above the worktop to a single unswitched socket behind the oven, the oven plug had no fuse in it and looks like it was added when the oven was installed. The old hood was wired via a FCU above the worktop with a 5A fuse in it to a flex outlet right next to the wall mounted fan, hidden behind the cupboard front.

The new oven is still a single oven but has a 13A plug on it, the hood also has a 5A plug on it. Now I don't want to cut the plug off or anything like that as this will void the warranty.

My question is, do I need to replace the worktop FCU's with two 20A DP switches, or is it ok to leave it as it is with a fuse in the FCU and then a fuse in the plug? I was just planning to change the flex outlet to the hood for a 13A unswitched socket and plug the hood in, leave the oven FCU as is and just plug it in to the exisitng 13A unswitched socket.

I'm just not sure whether having a fuse at the FCU and then again at the plug is good practice or whether it's fine??? What would you reccommend.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Now I don't want to cut the plug off or anything like that as this will void the warranty.

Will it? Have you checked the user manual - very often it tells you to cut the plug off if it is not suitable. In that case, this will not void the warranty -worth checking.

I haven't got the document in fornt of me, but I'm pretty sure it is worded along the lines of 'if you don't install it how it's supplied and how it's recommended you may void your warranty, if unsure consult a qualified electrician blah de blah'.

Ideally I want to keep the plugs on the appliances so that I can simply unplug them if I need to, I know they can be isloated above the worktop but the sockets are accessible and to be able to plug in and out is quite useful I thought.

Having two fuses in the chain means that you have more to check to find out where the blown fuse is. Also having a fuse in a plug behind an applicance means you will have to pull out the applicance to check it.

Personally I don't think either of theese is a big deal. If the appliance is to the point that it is blowing fuses you will probablly end up having to pull the appliance out anyway.

Sponsored Links
I might see if it's possible to put the socket for the plug in a cupboard next to the oven, just to get round the fuse blowing in the plug - should it ever happen.

Thanks for the responses!

I haven't got the document in fornt of me, but I'm pretty sure it is worded along the lines of 'if you don't install it how it's supplied and how it's recommended you may void your warranty, if unsure consult a qualified electrician blah de blah'.
It isn't cutting off the plug that will void the warranty, it's connecting it up to an FCU or outlet in a way that makes it go bang or fizz.

Ideally I want to keep the plugs on the appliances so that I can simply unplug them if I need to, I know they can be isloated above the worktop but the sockets are accessible and to be able to plug in and out is quite useful I thought.
If the oven has a fused plug on, and there's a socket behind it, then I would just plug it in and get on with my life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back