Fit Electric single oven & hob to fixed wire junction 32

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am replacing a single oven and gas hob. They are both connected to a junction box (i.e. ignition for hob and oven). The fuse on the FCU is 32A.

The problem is, on the new oven and hob Curry's who are fitting say that the hob ignition is plugged so cannot be connected to the junction without voiding the warranty. this then leads to another problem as the single oven only needs a 13A fuse and so they are unwilling to connect to the Junction as it is connected to a FCU with 32A.

The fitter said that we need to fit a double socket coming from the FCU and both would be used by the oven and hob.

Can you think of any other way forward? What is wrong with just fitting the single oven to the FCU with 32A? It will still cut out with the 32A fuse. Also could I not just change the fuse to 13A on the FCU or does each FCU have a specific fuse fitted?

The Hob ignition I can just plug in to the washing machine plug surely by just putting an adaptor on the single plug. Is this ok or does this need a FCU too?

Sponsored Links
Take the advice of the fitter, it is the best advice for your situation.

The double socket fed from the FCU with its fuse changed to 13 amps will provide a safe and efficient way to connect the hob and oven to the supply.

Do you mean change the fuse on the FCU to 13A or just that the 2 plugs fitting in to the double socket can have 13A fuses?

If I fit a double socket to replace the junction box leading from the FCU, then would it be better to leave the 32A fuse in the FCU or change that to 13A too. Remebering that the 2 plugs (hob ignition and single oven) will have 13A fuses in.

How much should an electrician charge for this? I am renting out so cant do it myself.

Sponsored Links
Namegill said:
Do you mean change the fuse on the FCU to 13A or just that the 2 plugs fitting in to the double socket can have 13A fuses. If I fit a double socket to replace the junction box leading from the FCU, then would it be better to leave the 32A fuse in the FCU or change that to 13A too.

Change the fuse in the FCU to 13 amp to protect the cable to the sockets and the double sockets.

Remebering that the 2 plugs (hob ignition and single oven) will have 13A fuses in.

The hob ignition could have a 3 amp fuse in it as the current required is less than an amp.

How much should an electrician charge for this? I am renting out so cant do it myself.

Prices not permitted on the forum. Ask the fitter for someone he recommends to quote a price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back