Spur for Socket and Cooker Hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to wire in a cooker extractor hood and relocate a double socket in the kitchen.
The double socket is connected to the main ring circuit, i wish to move this socket by about 3 feet, Can i use terminal blocks inside a breakout box to join the extension wires to the main ring circuit? Also can i then add a spur from the terminal blocks to power a cooker extractor hood. The hood will be protected by a fused switch.
Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can, but the connections will need to be accessible so a blank plate will be needed to cover the connections.
Use the correctly rated chock blocks and keep cables in the correct zones.

Following on from my original post, Would it be safe to wire the extractor hood to the main cooker switch instead of wiring the hood as a spur from the double socket. I know the cooker radial circuit is a higher power rating but again if i protect the hood with a fused connection would it be all right?

Hello,

Cookers usually have thier own dedicated circuit.

Personally I would go back to the socket/spur idea you began with.

You can crimp and heat shrink the cables rather than choc blocks if it is going to be un accessable, but be aware that by 'blanking off' the socket you are also losing the zone that it 'was' in!!!!!!

All The Best.

Sponsored Links
We seem to have a difference of opinion here. The intended cooker is to be one of those range cookers. The cooker is gas only. If i were to take a spur from the cooker switch and take that to a FCU then wire in the cooker hood to the FCU would it be safe?
The two replys above state a difference in opion, would both ways be safe?

With regard to your second question:

Personally I don't like adding stuff to a radial circuit supplying an immersion heater, cooker or shower, but as it seems your cooker point is redundant (this is true, is it?), then it would be acceptable as long as you use the same size cable as supplies the cooker unit, and fuse the hood down locally.

PS Why is there a difference of opinion? They both say OK to join cables, one is saying they must be accessible if screwed, and another saying if you want to make them inaccessible, you must crimp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back