Cooker on terminal block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I recently had my gas engineer install my Rangemaster cooker, and figured I would do the electric connection myself since the old oven was also electric and I could just change the connection in the switch on the wall.

The old wire went behind the plasterboard/tiles and the cable from the new cooker didn't reach the switch, so I just pulled the 30a fuse from the fuse box, cut the old wire and joined it to the new cooker wire with a 30a terminal block, covered with a chocbox. When I put the fuse back in it worked perfectly.

This is a temporary solution until I get a proper junction box installed in the wall, but should I be worried about the safety? I've taken to turning off the cooker at the wall whenever I'm not using it.

Sponsored Links
Terminal block in a suitable box is fine, I wouldn't worry about changing it over on safety grounds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back