double cooker and induction hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
iam having a new kitchen fitted,am doing most of the electrics myself
at present i have a freestanding cooker with electric hob,replacing with a double oven and induction hob.the cooker is on a 30a circuit (30a fuse wire) the new oven is rated 20a hob 30a.is there any way i can split the supply with a junction box?and up the ampage? 10mm twin and earth in place. or will i have to run a new cable for one of the new appliances and get an electrician to fit a new consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
OK, firstly you ,make no mention of Part P, so read up on it in the WIKI if you havent heard of it..

secondly we here don't like to allow diversity for induction hobs as they have a nasty habbit of having a "boost" function which uses double the power to fast heat a pan from cold.. so if it says 30A, then we like to fuse and cable for at least 30A..

you could split the supply and change the fuse if your board will take it and the cable is big enough for the combined load, but it's usual to put in a seperate supply for a seperate double oven due to the fact that at 20A, you'd need to have a 50A breaker for the 2 devices and connecting cables rated to that, which a double oven isn't going to be sized for.

depending on the make and age of your CU you may not be able to fit a suitably sized breaker..
you mention 30A fuse wire so I'm guessing it's an old wylex or similar? these are not rated to fit fuses or breaker over 30A so a new CU sounds like it's in order...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back