Cooker & Induction Hob Wiring into single outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've currently got a freestanding electric cooker & hob which is connected to a dedicated outlet behind the cooker.

In a couple of weeks we're installing a new kitchen, and we're going to have a built-in oven and a separate induction hob. This will mean two sets of electrical connections need to be made.

Is it ok to wire both the oven and the hob into the same electrical outlet that the current freestanding cooker is using?

I don't want to do anything that is dangerous.

Many Thanks... James

Sponsored Links
Depending on the individual oven specifications, some (many?) can be simply plugged into a 13 Amp socket instead of needing to connect to a dedicated circuit.

Depends on:

-The rated power consumption of each of the the 2 new appliances and their diversity allowances.
-The cable size of your existing cooker circuit.
-The rating of your existing cooker switch (usually 45A). (And does it also provide a socket?)
-The rating of the fuse/MCB protecting your cooker circuit.
-The requirement to have each appliance protected by its appropriately rated protective device.

Typical double oven 5.6 kW (23 A)
Typical induction hob 7 kW (30 A)

If it was me, I'd run 2 separate circuits.

Sponsored Links
Typical double oven 5.6 kW (23 A)
After diversity that comes to 23A, 28A if there's a socket.

OK - I wouldn't want to put that on a 30A circuit - I'd be happier with a 40/45A one, but a 30A one is allowed.

Can't see why 2 would be needed unless the fusing specified by the maker, or the size of cable that the terminals will accept, makes a single circuit unworkable.

I've currently got a freestanding electric cooker & hob which is connected to a dedicated outlet behind the cooker.
Surely you mean you have a freestanding cooker, not a freestanding cooker and a 2nd separate hob?

Oven = heated box where cakes and pies etc can be cooked.
Hob = flat item where pans can be heated for boiling and frying things.
Cooker = all in one deal with hob on top and oven underneath.

Surely you mean you have a freestanding cooker, not a freestanding cooker and a 2nd separate hob?

Oven = heated box where cakes and pies etc can be cooked.
Hob = flat item where pans can be heated for boiling and frying things.
Cooker = all in one deal with hob on top and oven underneath.

Yes it's a freestanding cooker.

The main consideration is the manufacturer's requirements for the fusing of the oven supply.

You most likely have a 30/32 amp cooker supply (possibly 40a), the hob will connect straight to this no problem. If the MI say the oven can go on a 30/32a circuit, then connect the oven too using the double outlet plate linked above. :D
If the oven needs a 13a supply then fit an FCU next to and spurred from the outlet plate. :)
If it needs a 16a supply then you need a new circuit :(

The oven is a Bosch HBM13B150B and Bosch's website and downloadable guides give very little information about the applicance's electrical requirements.

The oven is a Bosch HBM13B150B and Bosch's website and downloadable guides give very little information about the applicance's electrical requirements.

Well, you need to know all about it before you can plan the electrical requirements!

The last one I installed was more than twice that.

BTW. Have you notified your local authority that you are going to be doing DIY electrical work in a kitchen and (probably) installing a new circuit?
Have you read this/ //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

I'm going to try and find out more about the Bosch oven, so will call Bosch tomorrow.

The Indesit hob has plenty of information and the maximum power it will draw is 7kW.

I'm going to get all the information on the cooker before I decide how to proceed either DIY or having a professional come in and do it.

I found this when I recently bought a new Bosch oven... they don't state the power consumption or requirements ANYWHERE in the brochures or technical specifications. The only place it is located for mine is on the oven itself!

Having said that, their email support is fantastic. They generally get back to you within a few hours and they've never let me down with the information they've provided.

Bosch have told me that the oven has a total connected load of 4.4kW. However, they've omitted to mention whether it needs a 32/16 or 13A supply.

4.4kW is more than 16a, so it isn't designed to go on a standard 16A European circuit, which means you might get away with connecting it to your 32a cooker circuit directly.

However, Bosch MIGHT specify a 20amp supply.

Ask them directly. Don't ask "what supply does it need", as they will probably tell you the minimum requirements, ask "what rating protection device does this oven require".
Or just ask them really directly "can I connect this to a supply protected by a 32a breaker?"

You can ask on here until the cows come home, but only the manufacturer can give you the answers you are looking for....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back