cooker scenario

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
fitting built in 2.8kw oven in on kitchen re-fit.The old oven was fed by a 6mm sq cable from CU on a 32A MCB to a 45A cooker Control Unit and 6mm sq on to the Terminal Outlet box all of this is in suitable position for re-use and only 8 metres from CU.Would like to keep new oven on this circuit .My question is that the manufacturers recomended cable/flex from oven is 1.5mm sq(presumably heat resistant?) but is it right that it can be connected to the 6mm sq cable at the Terminal Outlet Box?Or should the cable/flex going to the oven also be 6mm sq?Also the 32A MCB protecting the circuit should this be reduced to a 20A one for this size of oven?.If someone could explain how this works safely i'd be grateful.

Sponsored Links
It's not the oven rating that requires the MCB to be smaller (it allows it), it's the size of that 1.5mm² flex that is too small to be on a 32A MCB. Take it down to 16A, or if you want to use a 20A, then use 2.5mm² flex.

See SIZING MCBs & CABLES for more info...

Thanks for the prompt reply much appreciated might even be on schedule to cook the turkey now! , clear in my mind now.(Similar thread going on at same time which is a bit weird) Going to run the 1.5mm sq heat resistant from oven to Terminal connectionBox and change mcb down to 16A. This leaves the 6mm sq from CU via Cooker control unit to Terminal connection Box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back