Cooker "Two Foot" Rule

DSA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could someone please clarify for me, and back it up with a BS reference, the "two foot" rules for cookers - I have been told that I cannot place the gas cooker in a new kitchen any less than two feet away from a window, due to health and safety law. Could someone please confirm this.

Is there any other legislation I was unaware of like this?!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not heard that one before!!!
A cooker in a room needs purpose ventilation if room size is less than 10m in volume, an openable door or window is required.

As far as I am aware there is a regulation that covers the proximity of cookers to an opening window, but I cannot tell you what the reg. no. is, however having personally suffered a kitchen fire caused by a curtain being blown onto a gas ring many years ago, I would strongly recommend you keep it as far away from a window as possible.

DSA,

I remember that when my mum had a new kitchen installed a few years ago, she had to move her gas cooker as it was too close to the back door. The reason given was that if the door was open a gust of wind could extinguish the flame leaving the gas still on.
There was a minimum distance quoted but I cannot recall what it was.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like this is the same thing. Very annoying that no-one can find a reg though - would have thought that this was a day to day issue?!

I would imagine that it is a building reg. try asking your B.C.O.

Don't think there is any regulation regarding dimension to window. Probably why no one can find one to quote.

DSA said:
Hi,

I have been told that I cannot place the gas cooker in a new kitchen any less than two feet away from a window, due to health and safety law.

Who told you that? Can't they quote the reg?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back