Cooker Ventilation

5 Oct 2020
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi All, I would be really grateful if somebody could help me out on this as it's doing my nut in!

We are replacing our cooker hood, and have found the house builder used the white plastic type of tumble dryer style flexi pipe through the wall.

The external wall in the masonry is 120mm, however the hole doesn't run straight because of a wall joist, therefore it runs out at an angle, hence why he probably used the cheap white stuff.

I'm reluctant to use that style again, as it had large tears in it and probably allowed a lot of hot air into the wall cavity (it's a timber framed house).

I purchased a 120mm pvc pipe to run through the wall, and due to the joist it wouldn't fit, therefore I sliced the pipe to curl it over and realised it needs a 115mm pipe, which seems difficult to get hold of!!

I can only find 110mm pipe but that then means a 5mm gap around the edge where it joins in the back of the wall vent and could get hot air running back into the cavity? Could I seal that?

I was going to duct tape the pipe I had sliced all the way through the inside to make sure no hot air escapes, as that pipe I've sliced fits perfectly onto the rear or the vent outlet plate and the vent hose leading to the hood, but i understand duct tape isn't meant for ducting and can catch fire?

Also the new hood extractor starts at 150mm from the hood, and if I reduce to 115 or 110 that's quite a reduction?
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local