Cooker hood extraction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is possibly the wrong section for this but I'm not sure where else to put it so here goes.

I am in the process of reinstalling my kitchen. I had thought that I was going to have to recirculate my hood as it was going to be difficult to duct it out.

On taking the old kitchen out I came across a floor level hole in the wall that led into the wall cavity and then outside to an airbrick.

I thought that it might be possible to duct out through this. The issue is that the boiler also ducts out through a seperate vent about 2m above the air brick. Are there any regs that prevent me from ducting my cooker hood this close to the boiler vent? I'm, in a first floor flat so height from the ground shouldn't be a problem.

Any thoughts greatfully appreciated.

Rich.

Sponsored Links
You might be better asking the gas fitters, I'm thinking the air brick might have been provided for the boiler.

Tell them if it is a room-sealed boiler. Only boilers or gas fires that draw air from the room need a ventilator like that.

Older houses often have air bricks where the pantry or food cupboard used to be (there were building regulations for fresh-air ventilation of food storage, before fridges became popular).

BTW is your cooker on an outside wall? If so, there is an easy way to vent the hood.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies
JohnD
don't know if it is a room sealed boiler. I would assume not as the hole in question had a cabinet effectively blocking it off before i removed the old kitchen. will look at the instruction manual when i get home later.

The flat is 1970s so i would imagine that the air brick is not for a pantry (could be wrong though)

Unfortunately the cooker is not on an outside wall. (and no option of being on one. there is only one and it is mostly window apart from the boiler :) ) So will have to duct it. It is on the back side of a chimney breast, but we have a gas fire in the fireplace and I was told we couldn't use the chimney for extracting the cooker as well. Would likely fill the sitting room up with cooking smells anyway!

Spark123
looks like my thread has been moved to the right forum. Thanks whoever did that!
+++++
You're welcome :)
Mod Rupert
+++++

Stem
Thanks for the PDF very interesting and from looking at it it looks like it would be ok as long as the air brick is not required for anything else!

You say you have a gas fire? Then the air brick will be needed for that.

The gas fire is in a different room and is below the maximum heat out put that requires an airbrick. Or so we were told. it is not fitted yet so guess we may here different when the corgi plumber comes round to fit the fire.

Rich

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back