Cooker wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I'm looking to connect a dual fuel cooker with double oven. the rating is 5.4Kw.

Im just wiring into the old connection.

The question is about the cable to use. Is 6mm required? I have some cable from the ring mains that I could cut and use, but it is thinner.

it would probably be better to buy the right wire, but i'm out in the sticks with no electrical shops nearby.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
5.4 kw is just shy of 24A so as a radial circuit the cooker will need 4mm TE / fuse rated at 30 / 32A.

What's the distance between the fuse board and the position of the cooker, including any routing (which won't be line of sight).

23A is not much load and you are unlikely to have problems with any cable over 2.5mm but also one must consider fault conditions where a lot more than the rated current can flow so cable is selected according to the size of the overload rather than size of cooker. So 20A would be 2.5mm and 32A would be 4mm and 45A would be 6mm etc. Do remember this is in free air cables buried in a wall are completely different ratings. Normal would be a thermal setting cable rated at 90degC not thermal plastic as used in house wiring and often a flexible cable is also used. And since you are not likely to inspect the cable once fitted then fitting the correct cable would seem best option.
Eric

hi,

Thanks for the info. i think its going to be safer to use the 6mm. A trip to B&Q I think.

thanks

Sponsored Links
6mm also give you some future proofing should you ever change cooker type.

Could I suugest you google Electrical wholesaler in your area, they will cut a length from a drum so there's zero wastage and will be cheaper.

TLC will ship, but will charge carriage. 50m drums at £52 + VAT, cut at £2 per m + VAT, as a guide cost for a use with a local supplier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back