Cooker wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be in wrong forum, aplogies if it is from a newbie.

Right I have a neff 3640 and the instructions are rubbish! I need to wire in the ovens. The ovens are rated at 4.5kw which I understand is around 20 amps. There is no electrical connection for the cooker. there is a plug socket nearby which is connected to 2.5 twin and earth. I understand from cruising around the variious cable sizing calculators on the web that 2.5mm cable is good for 20 amp.
So can I change the double socket for a cooker conection and leave it be. Or would I need to run a radial circuit in 6mm back to the consumer unit from a 45 amp cooker switch. then run cable from the switch to a terminal box, then connect the cooker to the terminal box. There is no spare MCB on the consumer unit (damn) so would I have to upgrade the consumer unit too? This would have to all surface mounted and clipped. The run is about 10 meters

Sponsored Links
Why post twice ?????????????????? :rolleyes:

A ring main can't be used- so lets not go there.

4500 w / 230 v = just under 20 amps.

Use a 6mm TE cable for the run and the cable rating is about 30 a, so a bit over designed.
Use a 4mm TE cable and the rating is 26 a
Use a 2.5 TE cable and the rating is 21 a, so too near to the required demand to use.

As you know, new circuits and working in kitchens are both notifiable under Part P

Why post twice ?????????????????? :rolleyes:

Cause I is Fick! :LOL:

A ring main can't be used- so lets not go there.

4500 w / 230 v = just under 20 amps.

Use a 6mm TE cable for the run and the cable rating is about 30 a, so a bit over designed.
Use a 4mm TE cable and the rating is 26 a
Use a 2.5 TE cable and the rating is 21 a, so too near to the required demand to use.

As you know, new circuits and working in kitchens are both notifiable under Part P

Thanks. The double socket in question is a radial direct from the consumer unit. I had hoped that it was originally a cooker circuit but furthur investigation proves it to be 2.5 twin and earth.

I suspected that 2.5 was too close to comfort

Divergence factors were never mentioned during part P training!

So i'll be running a new radial circuit back to the consumer unit in 30amp, is it ok to run it in plastic square conduit? will it be necessary to install a cooker switch as well?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back