Cookies ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have my computer set up so that it prompts before saving any cookies.

Most web sites still work even if I refuse them.

This evening I have been having a little argument with a web designer over this.

He has designed a web site which does NOT quote the email address of the firm. It does have a "contact us" form but unless cookies are enabled it says the page is not found and does not send the form. Particularly it does not say that the form is not sent without cookies!

Do others think that this web design is totally correct????

Or am I right to expect either to have the email address quoted or at least an explanation of why the message has not been sent?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I have a contact us form, (email address is well hidden) and i do not use cookies.

I have this because the form has questions that need to be answered in order to help the person asking

I also have cookies set to "prompt" and when prompted, I usually set the site to "Block cookie" and tick "Apply my decision to all cookies from this website."

However, if faced with some tiresome site, that needs a cookie to work, I set to "Allow" but don't tick "Apply...to all"

Then as soon as I've finished, I go to my Cookies (I have a shortcut on the desktop) and delete the little blighter.

The only site that manages to outwit me is "Real" because although I've set it to Block Always they still manage to put a cookie on my computer without my permission, for example if I listen to a BBC programme. I have heard that "Real" like to spy on users and capture the IP address and the file that you've read :rolleyes:

I subscribe to the view that it's my computer and no-one is entitled to load files onto it without my express permission.

BTW a web site that doesn't have a "Real World" company name and Address (and preferably Phone no. that you can check in the directory) may well be a flybynight fake company - you will have no way of pursuing them if something bad happens.

Sometimes cookies are useful - for saving preferences etc, sometimes they can be used for other things. That said, a cookie isnt needed to do things like return your ip, what site you were at before the current one, etc,etc.

Sponsored Links
Cookies can be useful - they can be used extensively in shopping sites.

However you can use php to set session variables and do things that way so using cookies for e-commerce or anything is not mandatory. It can all happen on the server side rather than involving the client side.

Some people think it's a good idea not to have email addresses on websites because spambots crawl websites and pick up the email addresses then flood those addresses with spam.

There are better ways to deal with spam emails than this e.g. have a local mail server that picks up mail from outside and deals with the spam, while allowing users to log in and collect their emails.

It's client choice as to whether they display emails, addresses and other contact info.

I can understand why a company or sole trader might not want to have their contact details listed on a web site. I don't think it necessarily means they want to be inaccessible so that they can dupe customers.

I'm setting up to work from home as a sole trader/contracter in web design IT support and training provision. From a safety viewpoint, I simply do not want my home address available 24/7 to whomsoever decides to turn up on my doorstep.

When I have enough business to afford to rent office space I may be able to change that but I won't risk myself and my home just for a few denarii.

Back