cooking appliance diversity

Sponsored Links
I'm a little concerned that OSG says "30 or 32 A".

A nod to those 30A (rewireable) fuses such as those that I recently relegated to my 'museum pieces' shelf.

All EU diversity requirements can generally be met by hiring a brown electrician in a wheelchair.
:LOL: So long as she didn't become brown and wheelchair-bound in the same bus-bar grabbing accident.

I think using on site guides and rules of thumb can produce un-useful information unless combined with some un-common sense. The cookers vary both in design and in use and general guides are just that a general guide and in the end as long as the correct fuse for cable is used the installation can't be overloaded.
These cookers
kkVXhcvxuvOSFrzD1VJTpnQqVDoVMFNOIWjIDbsDNJBrDf0CC4aOui0HEtdHVjvS0EJpXVRGy_6c-PLKkkqJj5PKZTnFvcIKQyYL9I_ihUCo04CCjc_EOQAnZv9Oyu6t4uGnGe6VBEkYwkgik4kxbFXQEPuRLDbhP-igEPXMcx5kp9O3C8r33fTfvYsl9PWMwpi0AoLC
have been used for years on a 13A outlet and the only difference between them and any other cooker is that the cooker does the selecting not the user.
Incorrect fuse size can cause.
1) Danger under fault or overload conditions.
2) Loss of supply.

So it should not be bigger that the manufactures recommendation for cable or appliance as that will cause danger under overload conditions in case of cable or danger under fault conditions in case of the appliance.

Being smaller than required will only cause a loss of supply. It will not be a danger except for maybe the loss of cooling fans.

The problem is as I see it where an appliance manufacturer recommends a 13A, 32A or other supply but the user has an installation able to give a larger supply. This means doing things like opening the consumer unit and replacing the B45 MCB for a B32 MCB which is all well and good until the appliance is changed again and a B45 MCB is required. Likely there is no paper trail to show that the installation can use a B45 MCB and it takes a lot of inspecting to satisfy the inspector that a larger MCB can be re-inserted in the consumer unit.

We see things like maximum size written but often it only refers to one item within the insulation not the whole.

What we need is fused protection units larger than 13A. So where a cooker with a manufactures recommended maximum size of 16A, 32A or other it can be reduced to that size locally rather than at the consumer unit. In the same way as commercially done for years.

Be it a an immersion heater, storage radiator, oven, hob, or shower installed equipment needs to have a local fuse or MCB. Both for overload protection and would double, with TN-C-S system, as an isolator.

So there are two problems with the domestic. Lack of paper trail and no local fused connection units which look OK over 13A.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back