cool rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the history:
went to my brother-in-law's place at the weekend as his heating was not working. He thought it was the pump as it was making strange noises. Turned out the FOV in the F&E had jammed. Eased it free and water began to flow into the cistern again.

the problem:
I bled the rads and the pump but two downstairs rads refuse to heat properly. The water going into the hall rad is very hot but doesn't come out of the return anywhere near as hot (tried to balance but didn't help, I also took it off and ran a hose through it but no luck)

The other problem rad doesn't heat at all but i'm assuming it is linked to the hall rad. (All other rads are fine / he has a back boiler, not sure of the make/model).

I don't know if it could be a problem with the rad valve or even if the copper pipe connecting the two rads is blocked with sludge. Just wanted some advice before i start pulling up floorboards as he has a very young family. Thanks

Sponsored Links
john, if the pipes that feed the two rads drop down from the ceiling youve proberly got an air lock at the top of the pipes . all you need to do is turn the heating on and go round and turn all other rads off just leaving the two turned on , this will force the airlock though ,.......when these are hot turn the others back on . cheers.

Sounds as though the crud and sludge from the F&E is in the system. Are you sure system has filled up fully? Do you get water out of upstairs bleed offs?

If the system has 2 or 3 port valves did you open them on manual before filling up.

You may need to have system flushed out. Try removing rad and then with bucket handy open rad valves into bucket and see what comes out. Cover your floor first as it could be very black, sludgy or rusty ;)

Sponsored Links
thanks Dave,
system was full as water came out of the upstairs bleed offs - i will try your open rad valves into a bucket advice

but can you pls tell me why i should have the 3 port valve open on manual before filling up ? Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back