Coolant flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got three vehicles that I've got to change the coolant on soon (as I don't know when it was last changed). One, the Alhambra, uses pink antifreeze, the others use blue.

Is there a coolant flush that people recommend? The Micra's coolant looks decidedly rusty.

Sponsored Links
For a flush, I use whatever I find. Holts used to be the best known brand but you might find Car Plan or something. In some cars you can easily take out the expansion bottle and scrub it clean inside and out at the kitchen sink. Often a lot of the dirty appearance is staining and sediment inside the bottle. If you can't remove it, wash it out with a hosepipe before you add your chemicals.

As for antifreeze, the pink is a more modern specification, last longer, and costs more. Newer cars will demand it in the handbook.

IMO if they are made to the specification, it doesn't matter what brand you buy. Approaching or just after winter you often see good deals.

I recently bought mine on a 3-for-2 offer at Halfords, then saw Wickes had it at a much lower price. I would have bought Tesco own-brand if it had been cheaper.

Work out how much you need, if you have several cars and you don't know when it was last done they need draining and then you can probably use a 5-litre pack which (subject to special offers) will be better value than 1-litre bottles. I usually mix mine to the "extreme" winter concentration. The readymix coolant is usually worse value than the antifreeze concentrate. Look at all the hoses and replace any ropy ones before you change the coolant.

The SEAT would have the G12 or G12+ antifreeze as specified by VAG, hence the colour, and the original Nissan stuff would have been green.
Anyway - don't mix OAT coolants with glycol based ones....give the system a good flush out with the hose but no need to be paranoid about it!
As a general rule of thumb, the red antifreeze lasts for 5 years, and the blue stuff for 2.
Use a 50% - 50% concentration with water. Comma - as well as others - do ready mixed stuff if you prefer.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yes don't go over the top with flushes. The garden hose will be fine. Run the engines for a few days with just water and re flush. No danger of frost in MAY.
Then flush again and refill with additive/water mix.

Always be careful with older engines not to be aggressive with the coolant system as you may get expensive leaks appearing out of nowhere. As most of those flushes are acid based.

Back