COOLANT IN EXPANSION TANK IS LIKE WET MUD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PURCHASED SECOND HAND PEUGEOT 307. 51 PLATE 1.4 LX CHECKED COOLANT LEVEL IT WAS ALL GOOEY. WHAT IS THE CAUSE? AND WHAT IS THE SOLUTION ?

Sponsored Links
is it kinda brown looking? sounds a good chance the head gasket could have gone, sorry to say it but from what i have heard (mainly from pug employees) the 307's are notorious for lots of things going wrong.

1) please turn off your CAPS LOCK

2) Does it seem to be water emulsified with oil? Known as "mayonnaise" because that's what it feels like? Or does it seem like rust sediment? Or black rubber eroded from old hoses? Or some idiot put an egg in the radiator? You should be able to take off the plastic bottle and clean it out at the kitchen sink, they eventually get stained with accumulated dirt on an oldish car. But you will have to identify what the sludge is from, and rectify it.

Sponsored Links
It does sound very much like the head gasket. Get it repaired asap as the more it is driven the more damage you are doing to internal components. Not the cheapest of repairs but if i am honest with you, it definitely is worth taking to your nearest Peugeot dealer. I would not trust my car with any "back street" garage, especially when it involves removing the head which can be easily damaged.

I agree that it is most likely to be the head gasket - broken or chaffed internally between two (or more) cylinders. This is expensive to replace. It is also expensive to ignore (if it is the head gasket). BUT, because you have no car history, it may just equally be that the coolant has been topped up with all sorts of antifreeze mix over time and/or contains rust. Either way, it is probably knackered anyway. So, assuming that there's no other problems, what I'd do is first get a compression test done - this would indicate (among other things) whether the head gasket was OK internally. A local garage should be able to do this. If compression OK I'd next drain and flush the coolant system and then refill with fresh coolant. I'd not use the more common blue antifreeze as this makes discolouration difficult to see, I'd use a red or pink coloured antifreeze. Then I'd check carefully whether the level and colour is maintained over a period of time, being very attentive when I drove and at the first sign of problems - into a dealership for a head check.
Best of luck

abbi said:
PURCHASED SECOND HAND PEUGEOT 307. 51 PLATE 1.4 LX CHECKED COOLANT LEVEL IT WAS ALL GOOEY. WHAT IS THE CAUSE? AND WHAT IS THE SOLUTION ?
Why on Earth did you buy it without having it checked over mechanically? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back