Cooling fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 5 blade cooling fan with 3 settings. It was working fine when I first purchased it like a few years ago.

How come now the power has extremely gone so poor? Literally its like its on setting1 (lowest).

It has gone weak.

Has the motor gone faulty?

Sponsored Links
I am going to invest in a cooling fan. Is this one good for the price? Looks good by the description!

ANSIO Pedestal Fan with Remote Control-5 Blades -12 Speed Settings Stand fan with Adjustable Height-16 inch Oscillating fan - 35 Watts DC Motor, Ideal for Home and Office -Black https://amzn.eu/d/bEVi0Up

Fan motors can start to seize when they haven't been used for a while.
The grease can dry up and dust can get into bearings.
If you can take the guard off, you can usually get some lubricating oil into the bearings and a bit of running should free up the fan.
Stand out of the way when you restart the fan, if you have used a bit too much oil, it may go everywhere! :)

Fan motors can start to seize when they haven't been used for a while.
The grease can dry up and dust can get into bearings.
If you can take the guard off, you can usually get some lubricating oil into the bearings and a bit of running should free up the fan.
Stand out of the way when you restart the fan, if you have used a bit too much oil, it may go everywhere! :)
Instead of them wouldn’t it be best to just invest in a better fan. The one I linked above?

Sponsored Links
823A1104-59E7-42C3-AEB1-B0B8C4216B43.jpeg

Thats a picture of my fan. There is some dust around the metal stick that turns. Should I clean everything and them reassemble it again?

Also I don’t have lubricating oil. Would normal oil work?

Instead of them wouldn’t it be best to just invest in a better fan. The one I linked above?
If you want to, but there's nothing wrong with having a go at fixing what you have, then you have two fans! ;)
...and if you really want to feel the benefit of a good fan, consider a ceiling mounted one.

Can I use an air duster can on the parts where it is dusty or is it best not to use it?

View attachment 276604

Thats a picture of my fan. There is some dust around the metal stick that turns. Should I clean everything and them reassemble it again?

Also I don’t have lubricating oil. Would normal oil work?
Take the front guard off (swivel the tabs, there may also be a small screw), take the blades off (unscrew the blue end cap clockwise!), and you should then see one bearing where the shaft enters the motor.
Dribble a little oil down the shaft into the bearing. 3 in 1 should do, but it depends what you have to hand :)

...also removing the rear guard may give you more access to the front bearing.

Can I use an air duster can on the parts where it is dusty or is it best not to use it?
That's really not dusty at all compared to the ones I deal with. Just give the blades a wipe when you take them out.

Take the front guard off (swivel the tabs, there may also be a small screw), take the blades off (unscrew the blue end cap clockwise!), and you should then see one bearing where the shaft enters the motor.
Dribble a little oil down the shaft into the bearing. 3 in 1 should do, but it depends what you have to hand :)

That's really not dusty at all compared to the ones I deal with. Just give the blades a wipe when you take them out.

Attachments

• 4076B82B-6730-47F4-AFCB-EC438A87C9D9.jpeg
    4076B82B-6730-47F4-AFCB-EC438A87C9D9.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 38
Is that black thing the bearing?

If so would it alright to put any sort of oil?

I have a wahl hair clipper oil, I assume that would be fine?

Can't see a black part!
First I'd have squirted WD40 onto the shaft and let it run towards the bearing under gravity - sometimes you get lucky.

From where you are now I'd undo the 4 screws. Fair chance the front bearing will be fixed to the bit you will then be removing, then you may be able to remove the shaft with the central part of the motor revealing the rear bearing. The clipper oil is light enough to dissolve the grease over time to make it work as grease again, so try a few drops.

After ceiling fans, the vertical column type are my preference. They work over a larger area - or it feels that way.
Tallish ones best imho:
1660319718607.png

Can't see a black part!
First I'd have squirted WD40 onto the shaft and let it run towards the bearing under gravity - sometimes you get lucky.

From where you are now I'd undo the 4 screws. Fair chance the front bearing will be fixed to the bit you will then be removing, then you may be able to remove the shaft with the central part of the motor revealing the rear bearing. The clipper oil is light enough to dissolve the grease over time to make it work as grease again, so try a few drops.

After ceiling fans, the vertical column type are my preference. They work over a larger area - or it feels that way.
Tallish ones best imho:
View attachment 276610
I cleaned the blades etc. and ran a bit of oil into that black plastic straw thats going into the metal bit.

Has improved by doing that.

Need to buy another though as I want a powerful one.

Is the one I linked above - ansio cooling fan a decent one.

I heard from people the vertical ones are not that great!

Sponsored Links
Back