Copper pipe and rad ends

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to move a radiator. I've got the 15mm copper pipe and the 'push fit' elbow/straight attachments, it's how I attach the pipe to the radiator ends thats puzzling me.

I'll use the thermastatic valve again and I'm looking at it now. The copper pipe goes up into the valve and is secured by a large nut. But how does it hold the pipe securely/watertight?

There must be something clever going on under that large nut that stops it leaking? Whatever the answer is, it must be the same at the other end of the rad? (as the same thing is happening).

I hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you are looking at a compression fitting.

There is an 'olive' (a soft brass or copper ring) that slips over the pipe between the nut and the fitting.

There are two conical faces, one in the fitting, and one in the nut. When the nut is tightened, these faces compress the olive, which grips the pipe, and seals the joint.

if the pipe, olive and fitting are all clean, in good condition and tightened correctly they usually seal well. Some prefer to add a bit of PTFE tape or jointing compound as 'belt and braces'. IMO it's usually unnecessary unless you are re-making old joints.

Once compressed, there is little chance of removing an olive from a pipe and re-using it.

Replacement olives are available from plumbers merchants and DIY sheds.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back