Copper pipes outside the house!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had lots of plumbing work done at home and I've noticed that a lot of copper pipes have started appearing on the outside of the house (I think there wre somethere before but its a new house so not certain). I can live with the fact that is doesn't look very pretty but I'm now turning my thoughts to winter... Is there any danger in these pipes freezing up. There is literally metres of them outside and its just clicked that this might not be a great idea. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks,
Emma

Sponsored Links
If they are gas pipes then the risk is none...

Sponsored Links
Your water pipes should not be outside unless it is supplying a bib tap with an internal isolating valve and external drain.
What exactly are they suppling :confused:

we had an ensuite put in at the other end of the house and they bring the supply of hot and cold water down.

Sounds like a cowboy job as no reputable tradesman would do anything so stupid as they will indeed freeze. :eek:
Get them moved before the winter sets in.
You must take some of the blame for allowing them to get away with it :rolleyes:

This is the funniest thing i've read all week. Are you sure it isn't a windup?

How long did they take to do the job and were there any other problems?

Really isn't a wind up. Unfortunately. Glad its entertained someone!

emma..ask ur plumber to come back and explain whats what.his willingness to come back and explain (or not) will go some way to answering ur question.
If its hot and cold..u can atleast with easy run the hot tap and see if indeed the pipe gets hot. (then its water for sure)
follow the pipe from the gas meter..should go the boiler/cooker/poss fire.
is it the pipes u were concerned about ?
do the above and see how u get on

in this case its blame the homeowner not the plumber... they are gas! Phew!

On a job last year watched a bloke (not diy) working on the house next door, run hot and cold feeds outside of the house from an upstairs bathroom down to a lounge that was being converted into a bedsit. Probably 3-4 meters lateral, then down 1 floor, and in again. 15mm copper, speed fits, and wrapped in sponge (economy by the look) insulation. Insulation not over the speedfit 'cause it doesn't go. But hey- it was real neat and it was summer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back