Copper push fit connectors on plastic barrier pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm currently moving a couple of radiators that are on copper pipe. I'm using Speedfit BPEX barrier pipe for the new runs. Due to there being little space where i'm going to join the pipes I was going to use copper push fit connectors,but i just considered that maybe i can't do that.

Can i use a copper push fit connector on plastic barrier pipe with the inserts?

Thanks,
Iain

Sponsored Links
I’ve just done the same thing. Plastic runs but the last elbow is copper push fit connecting to my copper rad tails so it all looks like copper.

I would say however they don’t take kindly to being bent about. Plastic on plastic fittings seem a better more secure fit.

Funnily enough I've just had to cut out and replace 8 push fit tectite fittings on both plastic and copper pipe on a CH system due to them moving too much over time and occasionally leaking past the seal, had to do that a few times over the last few years with tectite, not sure if that's indicative or not. They certainly don't like getting banged about if they are older it seems.

Sponsored Links
Proper push fit connectors designed for plastic pipe have much longer insertion depth. This means the pipe can't move about and leak even if forces are applied to the fitting or pipe.

Cheers all! Turned out i did have enough depth for the plastic pushfit connector, so i just went with that. Yea - I could see that you can insert into the plastic ones a lot deeper than copper so it would have probably been the better option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back