Copper supply pipe in footings, replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a small extension built and the builders uncovered a copper pipe around 1/2" (1960's house) when clearing ready for the oversite work.
They have sleeved it with split plastic tube where it goes through the concrete blockwork, after which it has a sweeping bend and into the original house footings a few bricks below dpc.

View media item 13641
View media item 13642
View media item 13643
I am assuming this is the mains supply to the home as the mains stop cock is within a foot or so of this position on copper 1/2" pipe rising out of the concrete kitchen floor.

I have limited time to do anything but leave it as the builders want to crack on with the oversite in the morning but I would like to do what I can to save having the new concrete floor up in a few yrs time because the old pipe corroded through, plus it would be nice to have the supply tee off to feed the new extension and also enter the old kitchen in a different place.

So what would be the best way of doing this? The copper has lasted a long time though it has been encased in thick clay all that time.
Should I change to plastic? if so what fittings will I need to grab first thing in the morning to do the job.

Sponsored Links
If you don't change the pipe, or completely protect it, then you'll be burying a plumbing time bomb - one day it will start leaking.

What I would do, if it's at all possible, is replace all the copper pipe that's about to be buried with MDPE pipe. This should also be sleeved. If you can't do that tomorrow then I would bury a section of plastic drainpipe with one end poking through the new wall. You can dig down inside the house at a later date and find the end of this pipe and feed the MDPE through to the outside.

I would a straight section of pipe with a 135° bend at each end to make the pipe meet the walls at right angles. Stuff a rag in each end to stop it filling up with concrete. Preferably also cover each the end with something brightly coloured to help you spot it later on. Take pictures and also take careful measurements for future reference.

Thanks for the advise, I needed to do something first thing today before the concrete got poured.
I went for edpm in a big loop so both ends are above the concrete, the feed end edpm can be cut and redirected once the jobs over and the other end capped off.

Cheers.

Oh, sorry - I just realised that your first post was made last night.

Sponsored Links
Slow old fuse on that timebomb, then. Like 50 years and still OK on my last house. As a precaution, under the new drive I laid an alternative route in MDPE and took it into the garage , used it as utility tap. Also provided pipework thru` house to connect onto. I reckon I`ve got 30-35 years left on this planet. I`ll keep an eye on the house ( live in same town) and let you all know if the drive gets flooded out :LOL:

From what I read the old copper mains pipes are Table Y which was really thick walled stuff so cound last a very long time unless it got close to coke cinders in the footings which apparently give off an acid that eats the copper.
I have also earmarked a reserve route now in case the 40 odd ft of underground copper does give out.
I have a combi boiler in the front porch so its just a short run from there to the main stopcock in the garden and no more than a days work to trench out and fit edpm should I need to in the future.

Funny how you dont worry or even think of problems like this all the time its hidden away from view ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back