Cordless Screwdriver advice sought

Sponsored Links
What else did you have in your basket :D #mindmyownbusiness :D

Some hex keys and A mitre saw. There was a small DeWalt on offer a while back which I thought would be good for odd jobs rather than getting out my DWS780 but I've since decided against it as I'd probably not get the big one out any more.

Fair play I'm in the market for a smaller mitre saw than the massive dw780 lump I have. I like the look of the festool kapex 120. But if I get one I will be summarily executed.

The only company I've ever had a warranty reset with was Hilti in a £400 tool. I believe after 30 days they're not obligated to give your money back. After 30 days you are entitled to ask for repair or replacement but not a refund. It would be at the stores discretion.

(AFAIK) It is Toolstation (and Screwfix) policy to offer a no quibble refund. You are correct that it isn't a legal requirement.

Not sure that I agree with the use of plasterboard screws, I have seen a lot snap when undoing them. Then again though, they didn't have sufficient clearance/pilot holes.

Sponsored Links
I like the look of the festool kapex 120. But if I get one I will be summarily executed.
I nearly was! It took several months in the workhouse and a bonus from doing a job which required the Kapex to get me out of there!

You're saying that he'd need to drill pilot holes if he used a non-impact drill-driver?
That's not my experience! Not with appropriate screws anyway.
It depends on what you are doing - if you are screwing hinges onto hardwood door casings, or screwing near the ends of timbers, or in thin/narrow timbers then if you don't pilot you are asking for trouble (splits). Similarly if you are screwing MDF components together with CSK head screws you really must pilot and countersink in order to get the head properly sunk under.

For loft boarding tho I really don't think you'll go wrong with gyprock screws. Cheap and easy.
I have used collated drywall screws for chipboard flooring in the past and I tend to agree that with chipboard, at least, they work quite well - and I never had issues with them snapping when I had to remove some, either

Last edited by a moderator:
I nearly was! It took several months in the workhouse and a bonus from doing a job which required the Kapex to get me out of there!

Hopefully moving house next year which might buy me a stay on execution.

I have used collated drywall screws for chipboard flooring in the past and I tend to agree that with chipboard, at least, they work quite well - and I never had issues with them snapping when I had to remove some, either

Was on a job a couple years back and the first floor was egger chipboard covered with 6mm ply and all that those guys were using was the same. Only time I've had any snap was from over driving so under normal circumstances I've found them to be fine too.

Was on a job a couple years back and the first floor was egger chipboard covered with 6mm ply and all that those guys were using was the same. Only time I've had any snap was from over driving so under normal circumstances I've found them to be fine too.

Fair enough, my experience is largely based upon having to remove a few of the moisture resistant boards in my loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back