Cordless Screwdriver advice sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to help my son board his loft and as the area to be boarded is large I thought that it might lighten the load by using a cordless screwdriver. How powerful will the motor need to be? I had been looking at one in excess of 10v but came across an Energetic branded one in Screwfix that was 3.6v but the reviews seemed to indicate that it would be up to the task. Advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Drills that don't have a second battery that can be charged while you are using the other one become very frustrating indeed very quickly. Especially one that says it has a 3 to 5 hour charging time.

That one really is just for very occasional screwdriving. The low RPM means it will pilot drill or countersink very slowly also.

What's your absolute top budget?

Sponsored Links
Have you already got a cordless drill?

If not consider buying one. The right choice will zip through these screws.

I find 18v is small and light enough to be handy, with enough power for most jobs around the house and garden. There are a few cheap ones with a 2-year guarantee that will get this job done, and still be up for the next job, and the one after.

The prosperous man might look down on https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tti699com-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/4908p but mine has done fencing and flooring with ease. If they go wrong, take it back.

A cheap cordless screwdriver isn't up to the job.

Last edited:
Have you already got a cordless drill?

If not consider buying one. The right choice will zip through these screws.

I find 18v is small and light enough to be handy, with enough power for most jobs around the house and garden. There are a few cheap ones with a 2-year guarantee that will get this job done, and still be up for the next job, and the one after.

The prosperous man might look down on https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tti699com-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/4908p but mine has done fencing and flooring with ease. If they go wrong, take it back.

A cheap cordless screwdriver isn't up to the job.
we should never ever criticize others experiences as they are just as valid as our own
often some will criticize the failure when they have exceeded the given capacity off a tool or item and blame the tool
if its heavy duty trade tool then guess what it should be bullet proof
if its diy then dont expect it to be hammered relentlesley and survive

Brilliant, hardy ever have to charge it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dewalt-Brushless-Compact-Lithium-Ion-Combi/dp/B00OQP4FVU

I have the titan one as well, its very poor in comparison, battery life poor, light on/off when trigger pulled (dewalt has a few seconds overun, useful for lining things up)...but it's light and do-able as there are two batteries.
Not trying to compare, as the prices are far apart, just illustrating differences.

B&Q were selling those Titan's for £30, not that long ago.

I agree it's cheap, and you can buy better for more, but with a two-year warranty, it's likely to give a DIYer his money's worth. If today's job is boarding a loft, with two batts I think it will do the job and is more suitable than the cordless screwdriver.

I've used budget cordless screwdrivers, and they are real bin-fodder. You need a fair amount of power to screw down loft flooring.

I covet a better one but can't justify the cost.

we should never ever criticize others experiences as they are just as valid as our own
often some will criticize the failure when they have exceeded the given capacity off a tool or item and blame the tool
if its heavy duty trade tool then guess what it should be bullet proof
if its diy then dont expect it to be hammered relentlesley and survive

Years ago, I purchased my stepdad a Seagull 18v cordless. It was about £90, which in those days was cheap. The very first time he tried using the hammer action, it wrecked the unit..

Granted it was DIY rated but no drill should die the first time it is presented to a yellow stock brick.

Some tools are simply rubbish and not worth buying at all.

eg the Silverline pull saw that I purchased to cut through a client's tongue and groove floor. The teeth started to break off within minutes.

Last edited:
I'm a firm believer in he who buys cheap buys twice but if your only an occasional user or budget doesn't allow then looking at dewalt/makita or the like will make your eyes water and for that I'd recommend something cheap from screwfix purely for their 3 year guarantee no quibbles, OK the tool quality isn't there compared to the top brands but he it breaks within a year you know they'll replace it without question and even upgrade you if your tool is no longer available

I'm a firm believer in he who buys cheap buys twice but if your only an occasional user or budget doesn't allow then looking at dewalt/makita or the like will make your eyes water and for that I'd recommend something cheap from screwfix purely for their 3 year guarantee no quibbles, OK the tool quality isn't there compared to the top brands but he it breaks within a year you know they'll replace it without question and even upgrade you if your tool is no longer available

Nah, you don't ask for a replacement. You ask for a refund, and then you use that refund to buy the same product again. That way you get the same warranty period but reset to year zero.

Last edited:
came across an Energetic branded one in Screwfix that was 3.6v.

I have a similar Bosch one. I bought it for a non-building jobs; I was working on some piece of electrical equipment that was held together by about 30 long screws that were very tedious to do manually. I have since used it for some basic woodworking. One of its good points is that it's very light and easy to hold, for example you can hold it above your head for long periods much more easily than a more powerful machine.

It can be used for the sort of work you're doing - just. I suggest using good screws that will drive in easily (e.g. "Turbo II TX"). You might sometimes need to back out and in again a bit. It will be much slower than a more powerful drill-driver. You'll need to put it on charge every time you stop work. It will be quicker than doing it by hand, though.

Unless your budget is very tight, I'd suggest instead getting one of the under-£50 drill-drivers.

you would quickly get bored and frustrated using a 3.6v screwdriver for loft boarding, i've got the 3.6v bosch gsr but it's reduced to just undoing screws on kids toys. 10.8v would be much much quicker. if you want sheer ease i'd say go for an impact driver, noisier but no pilot holes will be needed.

in your circumstance a 10.8v impact driver will put screws in easier than an 18v drill/driver.

if you want sheer ease i'd say go for an impact driver, noisier but no pilot holes will be needed.

You're saying that he'd need to drill pilot holes if he used a non-impact drill-driver?
That's not my experience! Not with appropriate screws anyway.

Nah, you don't ask for a replacement. You ask for a refund, and then you use that refund to buy the same product again. That way you get the same warranty period but reset to year zero.

The only company I've ever had a warranty reset with was Hilti in a £400 tool. I believe after 30 days they're not obligated to give your money back. After 30 days you are entitled to ask for repair or replacement but not a refund. It would be at the stores discretion.

As for piloting and not needing to with an impact driver, I still tend to to avoid timber splitting if you're using larger diameter screws. For loft boarding tho I really don't think you'll go wrong with gyprock screws. Cheap and easy.

And in regard to what tools to get, 10.8v has come a long way. I have a Makita Brushless Drill, Brushless Driver and Angle Impact driver but all in that's a pricey kit for DIY/odd jobs.

That said I do like the look of this erbauer set. I've got quite a bit of erbauer gear for odd jobs and I really like it for the money. Used to use erbauer cordless tools at work infact before lithium tools came about.

Screenshot_20171217-122454.png
ae235.jpeg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIz99IKFkdgCFcqpUQodEsYG1g

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back