Cordless Screwdriver for moving house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, after years of using a ratchet screwdriver I have finally decided to purchase a cordless screwdriver. I am moving house soon and have to take apart and then re-assemble a whole load of beds and a play shed.

My Dad had suggested buying the cheapest I can find (£4.99), but I know from past experience that those tools just aren't up to the job.

I am looking to spend about £30 and want something that isn't too heavy, but has enough torque to loosen those really stiff screws. Something with 2 battery packs, and all the bits needed including allen key bits.

A friend recommended Ryobi and 12V but looking around I think he was referring to a drill driver, which I think will be too big and clumsy.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Sponsored Links
The Bosch Ixo is quite capable for the price, and comes with most of the common bits. It doesn't have two batteries, but the battery lasts fairly well.

It'll drive a two inch screw into softwood, so it shouldn't have much trouble with furniture.

Thanks Monkeh, I was just reading through the 81 reviews on the Argos website for that and thought it looked good.

One of the reviews recommended purchasing the "Torque/Right Angle drives (accessories)" to go with it. Any idea where they would be sold?

Thanks Monkeh, I was just reading through the 81 reviews on the Argos website for that and thought it looked good.

One of the reviews recommended purchasing the "Torque/Right Angle drives (accessories)" to go with it. Any idea where they would be sold?

Amazon may have them. You don't really need the torque control for furniture, though. It's slow (180rpm) and has a brake.

Sponsored Links
With any of the 3.6V little drivers, you will stand no chance against 'stubborn' screws, these only punch out a max of about 4/5nm of torque and you better off with a manual. For the smaller screws the IXO will be perfect. or any other 3.6v li-ion hand screwdriver as they are all much of a muchness really.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-40421-LI-ION-Driver-Accessories/dp/B000PJE2L4

That one is identical to the Sparky 3.6V which I own, its rarely used but its pretty good... better and cheaper than the IXO.

i would personaly look at the bigger picture and suggest a ryobi 18v hammer drill or other makes
they will be well beyond your budget but will be handy for putting up shelves cupboards curtains and will assemble and unscrew much much faster

what ever you choose make shure it has 2 batteries and a 1hr charge time or 1 battery and a maximum 40 mins charge time

Hammer drills are not ideal for furniture assembly and disassembly. They're.. a little large.

Hammer drills are not ideal for furniture assembly and disassembly. They're.. a little large.

yes i fully agree but why limit yourself to a tool that has no real use than the first week after you move and twice a year after visiting ikea lol
and cant help you build your own furniture or fix it to the wall ect ect :D ;)

yes i fully agree but why limit yourself to a tool that has no real use than the first week after you move and twice a year after visiting ikea lol
and cant help you build your own furniture or fix it to the wall ect ect :D ;)

Oh, it's important to have a drill, but a screwdriver is still a useful tool. As said, the Ixo can drive a 2" screw into wood (or wall plugs), and anything below. It's compact, has a good battery, and saves you swapping bits in the drill all the time (which is a pain with a keyed chuck, which I use. They're simply better.). Other tools I'm sure are equally useful, the Draper above has more torque, although it lacks the option of a right angle drive, offset drive, or torque control.

I did find a Black and Decker Quattro in the shed last night (it's about 10 years old), but there are no bits with it. Would it be worth paying out for the bits for this? I'm not too sure if the battery is any good though.

nicads dont like being unused
they need to be cycled every month or so other wise the can go off

the chances off it holding more than 20% charge are slim after 5 years without regular use

If it'll take a standard 1/4" bit, then any old bit will be fine. But as big-all said, the battery is likely shot.

Many thanks to all of your replies.

I bought the Bosch Ixo and have already taken the slats off one bed. Brilliant. Now why didn't I buy one of these 8 years ago.

x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back