cordyline problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks,

I have a codyline palm, approx 8ft high and it's in serious trouble. About a year ago I moved it, taking a largish rootball with it and replanted it. It seemed fine for six months, even produced flowers for the first time. Over this winter the leaves have gone yellow, then brown and now black. The entire head of the plant (all the upwards leaves and downwards leaves) have gone black and shrivelled up. It now looks like a tall stem with a black rotted top. I suspect it's dead. Any ideas anyone?

- how do I tell if there's any life left in it?
- should i rempve all the dead black leaves/flower stems from the top?
- what would happen if I cut the enitre head off? leaving only the trunk.

I reckon the tree has had it and will have to be removed and disposed of. Any suggestions for trying to revive it would be welcomed.

Sponsored Links
When you moved it there should have been a very long taproot protruding from the bottom of the fibrous rootball (possibly 2-3 feet long ). If this is snapped off/cut when transplanting then chances of survival are slim to none. This seems to be the case with your plant, it could easily use up it's last remaining energy reserves and appear fine after transplanting but eventually reach the point of no return.

Other reasons may include overwatering or incorrect soil but in this case I doubt it.

I'm 99.9% sure it's dead. Post a pic if you can for confirmation but judging by what you've written it's a goner.

weve moved them before, and as said above the tap root is the key. It sud like its a goner :cry:

Sponsored Links
thanks chaps. you've confirmed what I suspected. RIP
the rootball was quite a large round mass, but there was nothing resembling a long tap root. I suspect it must have snapped off beneath the ground when I lifted it. Oh well, it should be ok to lift it out and put something else in it's place shouldn't it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back