Core drill bit

Sponsored Links
I have a few different types of diamond core. Not used a Mexco one, but it does look really good. I have a Red Ten Spiro bit, very good indeed. A couple of Spectrum bits, both incredibly good. A BX10 one and my other one is a Zenith. The Zenith range cost more, so, supposedly better, but I prefer the BX10 one with the spiral on the outside of the core. Stops the constant snagging from the build up of dust and safety clutch therefore operating. I think you'll be very happy with the one you linked to. I have struggled in the past with some old cheap one and the difference is night and day.

I'm surprised they say they are 165mm long though, rather than the normal 150mm. If your new drill has come with an arbour and guide drill or guide rod, it would be worth making sure they won't be recessed inside the core bit, you won't be able to start the hole!!

207C9719-AB7D-4F12-830C-CC2BF44581C5.jpeg I have , and used extensivly a set of mexco diamond core bits which are superb.
You will need a taper bit and arbor if they are not included.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You may want to buy a drift key as well to get the drill out the arbour.

I've got a grey mexco 162mm and a couple of smaller blue spiralled mexco ones which I got to replace some other basic ones. I recon the blue ones do cut faster than the standard designed ones. It still takes a while to drill a hole mind, but since you've an appropriate drill it shouldn't be too bad.

I've got a grey mexco 162mm and a couple of smaller blue spiralled mexco ones which I got to replace some other basic ones. I recon the blue ones do cut faster than the standard designed ones. It still takes a while to drill a hole mind, but since you've an appropriate drill it shouldn't be too bad.

I’ve done before with a normal sds drill with clutch, but decided to get a proper core drill this time, can’t risk injury

Taken me a few hours before, but heard people cutting them in 20mins

Last edited:
I’ve done before with a normal sds drill with clutch, but decided to get a proper core drill this time, can’t risk injury

Taken me a few hours before, but heard people cutting them in 20mins

If its taking you that long to cut a core pre drill a 10mm pilot hole right through first.
Ive found progress can be slowed by the core pilot which doesn't get hammered if you get my drift.
Im not sure why kits have the pilot bit because my old set had a solid dowel which piloted and supported the core bit in a pre drilled hole..I thought that method was less likely for the core to wander downhill under gravity?
The pilot can, or maybe should, be taken out after the core bit has started but the drill takes more effort to hold it level Ive found

Last edited:
Once you have an adequate groove cut you remove the pilot bit as the groove will then guide the core.

It was the taking hours that prompted me to get a proper drill with a bit more power, and higher rpm available for small diameter cores.

Did a 162mm hole using grey mexco trough two layers of redbrick in bit over 30 mins few weeks ago - had to keep taking arm rest breaks as it was above shoulder height and drill plus large core is very heavy.

If its taking you that long to cut a core pre drill a 10mm pilot hole right through first.
Ive found progress can be slowed by the core pilot which doesn't get hammered if you get my drift.
Im not sure why kits have the pilot bit because my old set had a solid dowel which piloted and supported the core bit in a pre drilled hole..I thought that method was less likely for the core to wander downhill under gravity?
The pilot can, or maybe should, be taken out after the core bit has started but the drill takes more effort to hold it level Ive found
Love the pun

I’ve always pilot drilled all the way, usually from inside to out and then core from outside to inside

Just to update, got the hole drilled yesterday. Took no more than an hour with a few breaks. Makes such a difference using a dedicated core drill.

Thanks for all the info

Attachments

• 0DC2526A-808C-4FE7-963F-DE2DDD4EA06C.jpeg
    0DC2526A-808C-4FE7-963F-DE2DDD4EA06C.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 149
  • F8E2ADDA-0161-4E2A-978D-F79EBE56E738.jpeg
    F8E2ADDA-0161-4E2A-978D-F79EBE56E738.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 135

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back