Core drill set - any good ?

Sponsored Links
It looks like it would do the job ok, but I'm not sure about the depth of the cores?
Obviously it wouldn't go through a double leaf brickwork wall (you'd have to pilot drill the wall first then drill from both sides) or you could break off the core as the drill is progressing to get more depth.
You'll need a quality electric drill though and a nice slow speed.
John :)

i would only buy a core drill set with diamond tips.

i cant imagine tct will last that long.

Looks good to me - tungsten is fine in normal brick (not engineering). You need a powerful drill with a clutch though.

Sponsored Links
yes the brick is quite soft - 100 yr old.

i suppose it will be better to hire a drill then if my sds cheapo thing wont do.

no point buying the bits and then hire a drill.

cheers anyway

I've used this type of core drill on a couple of occasions where only one or two holes were required through typical house brick, and found them to work just fine on my Bosch SDS drill. At that price you may as well give them a shot. It's dead easy to drill a deep hole by breaking up the brick core with a chisel and hammer - the only limitation being the length of the shaft before you reach the chuck on the drill.

i suppose it will be better to hire a drill then if my sds cheapo thing wont do.

no point buying the bits and then hire a drill.
I went through similar contemplation a while back and in the end decided to just hire the bit/drill. The necessity for a clutch is particularly valid if, like me, you'll be doing any of the drilling up a ladder as the snatch from a stuck bit could easily overbalance you. Furthermore, the hired bit was diamond tipped and was like a hot knife through butter - and this was on Victorian engineering bricks.

One tip I'd pass on to you from my hirer was let the tool do the work in its own time - keep the bit spinning at at not too high a speed and let it work its own way through. You don't need to apply all that much pressure, and certainly don't put hammer action on with the diamond tipped bits or you'll be selling the family jewels to replace theirs!

Some (most?) places will charge you according to wear on the bit, however as I took mine back only a couple of hours after taking it I don't think he even checked it much beyond making sure it wasn't damaged as there's only so many holes I could've drilled in that time.

Mathew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back