Core Drill Sets...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've to drill a soil pipe hole for a new bathroom in my house and was wondering if it would worth while getting myself a core drill set for the holes ? Seems the dimond core ones are going for £90 odd

I've already got a pretty powerful SDS drill to hook up to it,

I looked at the ones from the local hire place but its about £30 and I'd like the set for other holes I may do.

Has anyone any experiance of driling these holes ? I've read that it can be pretty rough to cut through ? Would I be better just using a kangoo to get it out ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're going to use them lots then get a set, if it's only for a few holes better to hire. If you do buy, beware cheap stuff, it's cheap for a reason. Most people would agree that Marcrist make the best cores

core drilling may damage your drill, if your drilling out larger diameters much better to hire a proper core drilling, erm... drill.
Tend to suffer a lot less broken wrists using one of these as well.

Sponsored Links
core drilling may damage your drill, if your drilling out larger diameters much better to hire a proper core drilling, erm... drill.
Tend to suffer a lot less broken wrists using one of these as well.

anyone who uses a core bit on a drill without a clutch needs their head tested.

If using your own SDS make sure the hammer is OFF and the drill is fitted with an anti snatch clutch!! (or make a pre appointment at A&E!! :LOL: )

I've to drill a soil pipe hole for a new bathroom in my house and was wondering if it would worth while getting myself a core drill set for the holes ? Seems the dimond core ones are going for £90 odd

I've already got a pretty powerful SDS drill to hook up to it,

I looked at the ones from the local hire place but its about £30 and I'd like the set for other holes I may do.

Has anyone any experiance of driling these holes ? I've read that it can be pretty rough to cut through ? Would I be better just using a kangoo to get it out ?

Thanks

If you have an sds drill and aren't professional with respect to core holes, my suggestion is stitch drill it with your sds and take a lump hammer to the core which will come out quicker than it would with a diamond core in most instances, and hole can easily be dressed where and if it matters.

second to that i advise the £30 hire fee is a good deal for you.

If you envisage at least another 20 holes of this type this year then maybe invest in the gear, but don't waste time trying to go forward as a business without a properly designed drill for diamond cores which has a differently designed clutch torque and speed than a sds drill which is designed for hammer drilling with tungsten tipped bits, an entirely different application.

I've got an expensive core drill set and recently came across a very cheap core drill set in Aldi for only £29.99. They are as good as my other set.

Is your sds drill mains or battery powered?

I would defo get the correct type of drill with clutch for a core hole

I have drill core holes for 1"1/2 waste with battery powere Hilti, without trouble, however for a soil or flue hole i wouldnt.

You best get some ice ready for when that drill cathces and spins yor wrist/arm the wrong way

good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back